Seat Tarraco Forum banner

1.5 TSI Second Gear Issues & Kangarooing?

8K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  A_Bainton 
#1 ·
Calling all 1.5 owners!

Just ordered mine but now having major panic attack about the Kangaroo first gear and lack of power in second issues which have plagued the 1.5 in Atecas, Skodas T-Rocs.

How have 1.5 owners found theirs - have any had issues?

For me the 1.5 is plenty fast enough and the demonstrator drove well (unlike the Ateca which had no pull in second when turning onto a dual carriage way!!) so pleased with my choice - if it runs ok ...

#2 ·
I have a little bit of jumpiness in first, and my first full tank went in 366 miles, so 27.7mpg which seems VERY low...

Seat have said that how you drive and what is in car could affect mpg (no sh** Sherlock) & go to dealer about jumpiness. Except the dealer I bought from is 90 minutes away, and my nearest dealer would be a 2hour round trip...

#5 ·
Mine has covered 1000+ miles over the 5 weeks since I collected it.

I've had the kangaroo effect pulling away from cold when engine is at low revs. Increasing the revs overcomes it for me so I've not considered it a big issue that's put me off the car. No issues with loss of power in second so far.

I read the forums relating to the issue in the TRocs etc and although there are elements of the same behaviour in my Tarraco it does seem a lot less prominent than they describe. Perhaps I've been lucky or the later builds have had some of the recent software updates pre installed. Or just maybe my driving style is different

The engine has started to loosen up and a 280 mile round trip yesterday was a pleasure. Power delivery is good and the car is very comfortable

So far I love the car and it is living up to its promise

#7 ·
All VAG 1.5TSI engines are affected until the software is updated. Allegedly, some owners had theirs updated and it either solved or lessened the issues.
Go back to the dealer or raise a complaint about it to SEAT UK customer service. Tell them it a safety hazard and that yo nearly crashed at roundabouts or pulling out of junctions.

#10 ·
Forecourt Tarraco was fine on test drive, unlike the Ateca I tried a few months ago which died in Second pulling away from showroom.
With hindsight the test Tarraco may have been jumpy in first or it may be just me getting used to gearbox...
Will see when it arrives
Is there even a Tarraco software update?

#11 ·
Not sure if there are Tarraco specific software updates or if they are generic updates for all affected engines across the VAG group.

Lack of clear guidance and information from VAG themselves doesn't help and similarly there are conflicting (and sometimes over dramatic) views on the various forums.

All we can do is report our experiences and go from there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.