Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Circuit component Font Hardware programmer Passive circuit component Computer hardware
Thought I'd let everyone here know about an interesting problem, and solution, with the 12V accessory sockets and their fuse which presented itself recently and even had Seat scratching their heads for a while!
Last summer when I tried to use the electric tyre pump for the first time it immediately failed, (with a bang!), and knocked out the fuse for the 12v accessory ports. No problem, I found the relevant position, (F40), took a photo before removing the offending fuse and replaced it and everything worked as normal.
Fast forward to the first service, last month, and I told the garage what had happened. They replaced the electric pump and checked the fusebox and said everything was OK. It was only after I picked the car up that I realised that the 12V sockets, which are normally switched with the ignition, were staying live full time. While this can be quite useful, eg for dashcams, I asked the garage to check it out because I am wary of any changes in case they signal a fault developing.
The garage had the car back in for a couple of days and initially could find no reason for this even after consulting Seat Technical, who agreed the sockets should be switched. Luckily they found that this was caused by the position of the fuse at F40. When I replaced it last year, using my photo as a reference, I replaced it correctly, offset and below the neighbouring 30A (F39) and 40A(F42) fuses. But when the garage checked recently, they put it in line with the other fuses, half a slot higher.
Now I don't know if this is a deliberate facility to allow 'always on' power at the sockets, and I know that Ford has this dual position fuse to allow the choice. I also don't know if leaving the fuse in the 'always on' position would do any lasting damage other than potentially running the battery down, which is why I'm happier with the switched sockets. If anyone else has the same problem at least it might save you or the garage a bit of time figuring it out! I attach a photo showing the switched position, F40 is the yellow 20A fuse in the center of the photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for this, Biscuit. This was really useful in troubleshooting why my hardwired dashcam fitted to fuse 40 was staying on constantly rather than turning itself off with the ignition.

I can confirm Biscuits finding that if fuse 40 is inserted inline with the other fuses the supply is constant rather than switched.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.