Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an amazing offer from my local dealer today for a brand new 2.0ltr diesel manual xcellence lux Tarraco for £2 less per month on 0% finance pcp than our existing Ateca deal, considering the Ateca is in negative equity I am blown away! :D

Dealership told us to stay well away from the 1.5tsi as it struggles with the weight of the car, and pushed us towards the 2.0ltr diesel, which we test drove and were impressed by the grunt it had.

Admittedly I am concerned about buying a diesel in the current anti-diesel climate, they said they had not yet sold any 2.0 tsi engines as its new to the lineup and didn't think there would be any in stock, so he couldn't comment on it but recommended the diesel.

Is it worth taking up the offer on the diesel or should we push for the 2.0 tsi?

Is there much of a difference?

Looking forward now to swapping to the tarraco despite my earlier reservations! :D

·
Registered
436 Posts
How many miles do you do per year and what's your type of driving?

IS this the 150BHP diesel? I presume it is as the 190 bhp diesel only comes with automatic and 4 wheel drive. The 150 manual is front wheel drive but for everyday driving you won't know the difference unless you go off road or tow a lot of things.

190 TSI will use a lot more petrol than the 150 diesel and the 190 diesel something in between.

the TSI comes only on DSG and 4 wheel drive so depends which diesel it is there is a lot of difference in the drive train.

I bought the 150 manual diesel, so far I love it. Not sure about long term for the DPF but hopefully I can give it a good run occasionally to clear it out

·
Registered
65 Posts
I did a test drive with the 1,5 TSI and was pleasantly surprised but wanted some more power on the highways.
So I ordered the 2,0 TSI.
Consumes 1 ltr petrol for every 10 km's, you have to convert that to MPG yourself.
I am used to even more power so I am waiting for a chiptuning.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers,

The paperwork lists it as 2.0tdi 150bhp manual diesel Xcelence Lux, no mention of 4drive, so I am assuming it's the 2wd.
Don't do any towing yet so that's not likely to be an issue. Do live in the sticks but only go off road when parking in fields for festivals, county shows etc.

It felt very good to drive, punchier than our 1.4tsi petrol Ateca. So we are happy with the power.

Most of our driving is local towns with ocasional (once a month or slightly less) city & airport runs. Have found the Ateca to be a bit of a guzzler, so thinking we might benefit from diesel, but depends how good the 2.0 tsi is tbh.

Salesguy said the tax issues will only affect us if we regularly visit the big cities, which we don't, but I haven't looked into that myself, I just see all the scaremongering stories & posts on TV, social media etc.

Might ask for a quote on the 2.0 tsi tomorrow Just for arguments sake but without test driving it's a stab in the dark as they only have a 1.5tsi and 2.0 tdi diesel to test.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I have the same engine and transmission, it's very good. You should be good to go. My budget did't allow but would have gone for DSG for sure otherwise.
The TSI will have be probably 20-25MPG in town vs the diesel 30-35, on steady runs I easily get 45-55MPG in the 150

I test drove the 2ltr TSI and it was very smooth, quiet and refined, however it has less torque than even the 150 diesel let alone the 190. it lacks a bit of grunt low down where the diesel wins but runs out of steam higher up the rev range

How many miles do you do in a year average? If you do less than 10-12K the diesels good fuel consumption will most likely not be off set by the higher prices.

DOn't worry about the emissions thing as the engine is fully compliant and will be for at least another 3-4 years by which time on PCP you'll likely be looking at changing. I live in London and I dont pay anything extra for the diesel

I will deffo look at the Tarraco Hybrids when they come out next year.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stellamaris5 said:
I have the same engine and transmission, it's very good. You should be good to go. My budget did't allow but would have gone for DSG for sure otherwise.
The TSI will have be probably 20-25MPG in town vs the diesel 30-35, on steady runs I easily get 45-55MPG in the 150

I test drove the 2ltr TSI and it was very smooth, quiet and refined, however it has less torque than even the 150 diesel let alone the 190. it lacks a bit of grunt low down where the diesel wins but runs out of steam higher up the rev range

How many miles do you do in a year average? If you do less than 10-12K the diesels good fuel consumption will most likely not be off set by the higher prices.

DOn't worry about the emissions thing as the engine is fully compliant and will be for at least another 3-4 years by which time on PCP you'll likely be looking at changing. I live in London and I dont pay anything extra for the diesel

I will deffo look at the Tarraco Hybrids when they come out next year.
Thanks, great help, you're definitely selling it to me!

We've done 17,000 miles in the Ateca over the two years we have had it so far, but we have a second car we plan to part ex for the Tarraco, so we'll likely accumulate more milage on it as it will have to fill the role of both cars.

I agree with you on the 4 drive, I'd go for it too if I could afford it, but it is a lot of money, the dsg would be nice around town too, but again it's out of our price range for now.

Will try make it back to the dealer now tomorrow to get a valuation on our part ex. Just hoping that it eats up a significant chunk of the 10% deposit, as I don't want to have to hold off on ordering too long to get more cash together in case the deal expires. Think I will be devastated now if we miss out, I can only see the car getting more expensive tbh.

The other hard part is choosing a colour!
Personally I have my heart set on blue, and I dont mind the silver, but the Mrs hates silver loves the green and the dealer seems to be stearing us towards green, indium grey or silver, I'm guessing that's cos they are in stock, whereas blue means a factory order. And they don't want that with so many cars sitting at the docks do they...

·
Registered
65 Posts
Personally I have my heart set on blue, and I dont mind the silver, but the Mrs hates silver loves the green and the dealer seems to be stearing us towards green

Since when the dealer has a say in what color you pick? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The colors to choose from are not enough, not even a bright red for instance.
I hate the green and beige, don't want a black or grey, so blue was my only option.
And I love it in the sun!

View attachment 225

White would be my second choise.
I would love the windows a tint darker to be honest.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Arno said:
Personally I have my heart set on blue, and I dont mind the silver, but the Mrs hates silver loves the green and the dealer seems to be stearing us towards green

Since when the dealer has a say in what color you pick? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The colors to choose from are not enough, not even a bright red for instance.
I hate the green and beige, don't want a black or grey, so blue was my only option.
And I love it in the sun!

IMG_20190627_012034.jpg

White would be my second choise.
I would love the windows a tint darker to be honest.
Agreed, the colour choice is poor to say the least, no bright colours available at all. Very unusual for SEAT. I do like the blue.

What a difference 24hrs makes though, we have been let down big style by the salesman today.

After being hyped up by the dealership that it was good to go provided we gave the 10% deposit, we got told today that the deal is off unless we pay an additional £6000 deposit on top of the £3200 needed to get the 0% finance as Seat don't want to take back the Ateca this early in the agreement (we are 2 years in!).

So in other words unless we pay £9200 in deposit we can't give the Ateca back.

What a bloody joke, so now it looks like we will have to keep forking out for a 5 seater when we need a seven.

Really Not a happy bunny to say the least, father in law changes his pcp peugeots every ten seconds and never has an issue.

Now I see why so many people don't like SEAT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got in contact with a different dealership through carwow, not holding my breath but don't want to give up on it while the 0% finance offer is on. Has anyone bought through a distance seller? If so what's been your experience of it?

I would be lieing if I said I wasn't a little nervous about the idea of not buying local.

·
Registered
436 Posts
My one was 30,400 plus 1000 for the panoroof.

I paid 4K deposit and am paying £316 over 4 years on 0%
So you should be able to get similar although the price of mine has now gone up by nearly 2k

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stellamaris5 said:
My one was 30,400 plus 1000 for the panoroof.

I paid 4K deposit and am paying £316 over 4 years on 0%
So you should be able to get similar although the price of mine has now gone up by nearly 2k
That's not a bad deal to be fair, our quote was higher but it's for the lux and the deposit was only £3200, but the problem is they won't do a straight swap with our Ateca despite telling us they think it's worth more than the outstanding finance left on it.

I Don't get what the problem is to be honest, they obviously just prefer new customers as opposed to those of us already tied into an agreement. It's as if seat want us to pay a premium for the rigmarole of having to swap the car.

Wander if I should go get a quote on a 5008 and see if that scares them enough to reconsider?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Our deal wasn't far off £400 a month for the lux in a 2.0 tdi manual with a pano roof
(A bit less without the pano roof) with 3200 down over 48 months. Which is actually £2 cheaper a month than the Ateca payment is.

They seemed thrilled to be selling us it yesterday until they came back this afternoon saying they couldn't take the Ateca back without an extra £6k on top of the tarraco deposit.

I'm guessing salesman went to his big boss and was told 'NO' cos that's all I can come up with to explain his sudden change of attitude.

And I think I have just worked out why they don't want to let us swap...

The finance agreement we have on the Ateca is a pcp at 4% interest, so for the next two years seat stand to receive a fair bit of money in interest payments, and at the end of term the Ateca will be in substantial positive equity so worth more in resale value than the 1-2k it is to them now.

The tarraco on the other hand, is on a 0% pcp deal so seat won't be making any money on interest once the initial deposit is taken so the Ateca deal is probly more financially rewarding in the long run to seat than the tarraco is. Not sure it makes sense but might be onto something.

Either way it seems without a ridiculous deposit of over £9000 they aren't going to let us swap the car :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
The finance agreement we have on the Ateca is a pcp at 4% interest, so for the next two years seat stand to receive a fair bit of money in interest payments, and at the end of term the Ateca will be in substantial positive equity so worth more in resale value than the 1-2k it is to them now.

The tarraco on the other hand, is on a 0% pcp deal so seat won't be making any money on interest once the initial deposit is taken so the Ateca deal is probly more financially rewarding in the long run to seat than the tarraco is. Not sure it makes sense but might be onto something.
Sounds more like your salesperson got the sums wrong to me.
You need to remember that the finance is not held by the dealership. Dealerships are only finance brokers, and just want the sale and the commission they make then.
Because of this, its not going to have anything to do with how much money they could make on your Ateca over the next 2 years. All they will be doing is checking what your settlement figure is on your current PCP (which you can ask for yourself) and comparing that to what they could sell your Ateca for. So if you are say £5k in negative equity, then you effectively need to pay an extra £5k to cover that before you then add the minimum 10% deposit for the 0% APR on the Tarraco.

Using something like Carwow is a good way to leverage the new price, but I've just done that and none of the Carwow quotes came through with the 0% APR offer, as they used the alternative 5.9% with £2500 Seat contribution instead (I guess they make a bigger commission on that offer). Then the discount was on the new car price and would not cover the negative equity.

So as an example the new car price is £32k and you secure £2k discount, and you have £5 negative equity then you would need to find £5k plus 10% of £30k, so an £8k deposit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am well aware the finance is through vwfs and not the dealership, this is my fourth pcp deal with them and regularly ring gets to get my settlement quotes etc. I am no newbie to this, but this is the first time I have wanted to change the car before end of the term.

I have just checked the valuation of our Ateca on car wow and it comes back at £15,700 & we owe a remaining £16,000 So that puts it £300 into negative equity.

Granted the dealership need to be able to make money on them, I understand that, but from my reckoning given what our dealership are charging for used Ateca of a similar mileage and trim, it seems at least they would not be losing anything by taking the Ateca back and would most likely actually pocket a small profit on it's sale.

But obviously I am not the dealership so I don't know how it works. But as I said I have known my father in law to change his pcp peugeots early (often as little as a year in) on a reguar basis and never had to pay such a large amount of money to get out of a car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Dont use carwow for a valuation, they over valued my current car by about £7k. Try Parkers or Glasses.
Or even try We Buy Any Car (they were £2 different to my PX valuation from the dealer)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
smayo said:
Dont use carwow for a valuation, they over valued my current car by about £7k. Try Parkers or Glasses.
Or even try We Buy Any Car (they were £2 different to my PX valuation from the dealer)
Sorry, that was we buy any car, carwow popped into my head cos I was on there looking for tarraco deals at the same time as replying to your message, I know it's about right anyway because our dealer told us yesterday that he felt it was worth 18k for him to sell on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Had a bit of good news, I've managed to get somewhere now with another dealership offering a similar monthly quote and willing to take back our car so its looking ike we might still be able to get the tarraco!

Now my concern has gone back to whether or not diesel is a safe choice? Or is it better to wait on the new hybrids coming out?

I don't think we can afford the 2.0 tsi as it is the 4drive version and costs a lot more.

I also think we are going to want to keep the car at the end of term, given how much cash we will have thrown at it by then, but I have done some reading and people are suggesting diesels are going to be hit harder in 3-4 years by new rules, so is it likely it won't be worth owning a diesel by that point and how likely is it to be in negative equity at the end of term as a result of falling re-sale values on diesels?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't know about the UK but in Holland en Germany second hand diesel is a bad market nowadays.
I also switched from diesel to petrol, that's why I miss the kick in the back when I step on the throttle.
I went from a 204 HP diesel to a 190 HP petrol in a lighter car, but the gap in HP seems so much more than the 14 HP!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Diesels will be with us for a while yet. I get 42 mpg on a run on the Eco setting. I also get 27mpg when towing a heavy caravan so for me, it was always a no brainer!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Simol said:
Diesels will be with us for a while yet. I get 42 mpg on a run on the Eco setting. I also get 27mpg when towing a heavy caravan so for me, it was always a no brainer!
I get where you are coming from, but everything I have read and watched on diesels in the last couple of days seems to be of the opinion that values are going to keep falling dramatically and more taxes and bans are incoming, If I won't be able to afford to drive the car in 6-7 Years time then all that money will have gone to waste.

In all honesty I think I would prefer the 1.5tsi, but I keep hearing it's slow and has problems, which seems strange cos the Ateca is like a rocket with the 1.4tsi and the peugeot 5008 copes with a 1.2.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.