Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really think getting the 20" Seat alloy is a big mistake, the car simply doesn't need it and it will only decrease the performance of the car.

The 20 x 8 is also 1" wider than the 19 x 7 so that's a lot more alloy on each wheel,

Unfortunately 235x50R19 that comes with the 19" are also slightly too big for the the 19" I reckon it should be 215x55R19 for the sweet spot and it will also look and fit better on a 7" wide tyre rim.

Safe your money and don't get the 20" and get the 19" instead.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt many people are choosing the model purely for the wheel size.
For me, a non compromise feature was leather, which forces you to the Lux and 20s.
I would have gone 19s or 18s if I could also have had leather.
Fortunately I like a firm ride, so while smaller would be a better ride, I dont mind feeling a few more bumps.

·
Registered
65 Posts
"I really think getting the 20" Seat alloy is a big mistake, the car simply doesn't need it and it will only decrease the performance of the car. "

:lol: :lol:

This is the biggest rubbish I have read this Sunday!
Fortunately it's a personal opinion!
What the car needs are 4 wheels.....
How big you order them is everybody's own decision.
I did a test drive with the 20" wheels and was pleasantly surprised with the comfort!
A couple of years ago I had a Mercedes R LWB with 20", that car was less comfortable than the Tarraco!
It even had airsuspension....
By the way: I hate the design of the 19" version and love the 20" design, that was my criterium.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Takes a real man to cruise on 20s :D

I too wanted leather and so it's 20 inch rims by default and the test drive was fine, they didn't feel uncomfortable. I wouldn't have mind smaller either if it meant cheaper tyres. For now I'm just going to enjoy those big daddies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take whatever you think it feels to drive on 20x8 right now and it's going to feel a lot better on 19x7 I guarantee it, 140kw doesn't justify the 20x8 it's just a bad trend to satisfy the market. 19x7 is more than enough especially with 4drive

It adds a lot of useless unsprung weight that will reduce speed, handling and make the car less safer to drive.

Review these slalom tests

Tarraco on 20s

Tiguan Allspace on 19s

Kodiaq on 19s

You can see the Tarraco in the video have an under steering problem which likely contributed by the massive 20x8 even though the tarraco looks like it has the least body roll vs the Tiguan Allspace and Kodiaq which I'm really pleased about. This shows that Terraco is the sportiest version of the VW group 7 seaters

These 20s belongs to maybe the cupra version of the car but certainly not any of the current models.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good to see how the cars behave under those conditions. I'm no car expert but the engineer in me says we should see the same test with the same car and different wheels before we can conclude that it's the wheel's behaviour.

It could be the suspension setup? A reminder to myself to drive slow and steady at my old age.

·
Registered
65 Posts
dugw said:
Take whatever you think it feels to drive on 20x8 right now and it's going to feel a lot better on 19x7 I guarantee it, 140kw doesn't justify the 20x8 it's just a bad trend to satisfy the market. 19x7 is more than enough especially with 4drive

It adds a lot of useless unsprung weight that will reduce speed, handling and make the car less safer to drive.

Review these slalom tests
Nice tests, bad comparisons.
The tires are very important for this test, and when different tyres are being used on different cars you can't compare the cars (or the wheels).

I like the behavior of the Tarraco with the 20" better than the behavior of the VW with the 19"
So what's your point in this?
:mrgreen:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tires are very important for this test, and when different tyres are being used on different cars you can't compare the cars (or the wheels).
Exactly get better tires and not bigger and heavier wheels, research un-sprung weight and you'll be shock as to how negatively it affects performance.

I like the behavior of the Tarraco with the 20" better than the behavior of the VW with the 19"
So what's your point in this?
:mrgreen:
I understand this is an unpopular opinion to those already have the 20" :lol: :lol: you can't defy the laws of physic, it will simply handle better with the 19s and probably pass the test at higher speed.

I come from background on modding cars and motorcycles for racing and drifting with tons of experience on the track, It's a PSA to those still on the fence about getting this option, I think it's worth chatting about, this is what the forum is for isn't it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
20 X 8 owner here. Handling seems fine to me although to be fair I haven't done any laps around a track. The ride is hard but not uncomfortable. No complaints here.

I chose the lux trim for the programmable leather seats so didn't have a choice on the wheels. They were just an added bonus. 😁

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Driver said:
20 X 8 owner here. Handling seems fine to me although to be fair I haven't done any laps around a track. The ride is hard but not uncomfortable. No complaints here.

I chose the lux trim for the programmable leather seats so didn't have a choice on the wheels. They were just an added bonus. 😁
I agree the ride quality is fine for daily use, but in New Zealand the 20s are a $2800 nzd (€1650) option, I immediately scoffed at the dealer and said no thank you give me the standard 19s, I'd only take it if it was a free option, no judgments there :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
:ugeek:
What!?
€1650
I paid €900 for the 20", in a country (Holland) that loves taxes for carbuyers!
I think cars in Europe are most expensive in Holland because of all the taxes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.