Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
https://www.theaa.com/breakdown-cover/advice/adblue

AdBlue is a proprietary name, like Hoover and iPhone: i.e. there are not different types or brands of AdBlue, though there may at any time be different brands selling other urea-based solutions that perform the same function. AdBlue is stored in a tank in the vehicle, and is injected into the SCR system as required

Both the above are from t'interweb.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've topped up the Adblue several times in my previous Alhambra and if you source the official VW fluid it comes on a foolproof dispenser bottle that fits the filler tank neck. Some garages sell the stuff 'draught' from special pumps for heavy goods trucks so you can obtain it much cheaper than the VW product. I always stayed with the VW official product as you could have warranty issues if you don't. I think the last bottle cost about £35 from a VW motor parts supplier

·
Registered
202 Posts
iBarryJ said:
I've topped up the Adblue several times in my previous Alhambra and if you source the official VW fluid it comes on a foolproof dispenser bottle that fits the filler tank neck. Some garages sell the stuff 'draught' from special pumps for heavy goods trucks so you can obtain it much cheaper than the VW product. I always stayed with the VW official product as you could have warranty issues if you don't. I think the last bottle cost about £35 from a VW motor parts supplier
So long as the Adblue meets the correct spec, it should be fine. The spec is ISO 22241-1.
You can purchase a 10 litre container of Carlube Adblue for £8 at Salisburys. As the tank capacity is 18 litres, your outlay is only £16.
(I'm a Scot so I always check for the best price! :D )

·
Registered
105 Posts
I usually topup at petrol stations on hgv/bus stands. They have separate dispenser like diesel. When topped up to max I paid 8 or 9 euro.
Once I paid at cashier, few times on self service.
I never had any problems nor objections from station staff.

BTW AdBlue is highly corrosive so when spilled - immediately flush the area with plenty of water. Topping up from the dispenser helps to avoid spillages.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Have used the halfords adblue which comes with the funnel attachment doodah to fill the tank. They always have an offer on buy one, get second at a percentage discount (seems to vary this discount) and it complies with adblue specifications of VAG group.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Adblue is Adblue. Only the stupid Sharan/Alhambra have the filler inside the boot. On my Alahmabra, I bought the special filler hose so I can use a 10L tub rather than the small top up bottles. Hose was around £15 then you can use any `10l tub.

All other cars let you fill it outside. If you spill some, it is not corrosive at all (to painted surfaces, just bare metal). Just rinse off with plenty of water to stop the white deposits when it dries.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.