Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone share their experience with hardwiring their dash cam to the Tarraco?

I'm doing some reading and trying to learn about -

1. Which fuse you use. Rear wiper?

2. Hardwire kits normally come with a metal ring that you have to screw to some metallic bit on the car. What's a good place?

3. What route did you take the cable from the cam to the glove box? Across the A pillar at the top or across the A pillar on the dash. Will it interfere with the airbag?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
1. fuse 40/41 for the 12v socket

2. NexBase hardwire kit, earthing point founds on a little screw that holds the dashboard in

3. take the cover off that holds the airbag deactivationswitch - feels tight but if you use a plastic tool it pops off, held on by 4/5 clips, careful when removing so you don't pull the loom for the airbag. From there under the door seal, then on top of the A pillar round it on the join where it meets the headlining , then tucked in between window and headlining to the mirror and then down. Hope it won't interfere with the airbag as I can see it going that.

P.S. just found the rescue sheet for the Tarraco, link below , click on tarraco , then see more , then rescue sheet. not sure if you can make out whether it would be better to cross the a pillar at the bottom or top cause of the airbags, let me know what you think. https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/manuals-offline.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I've always just had Halfords fit my dash cam, except for the rear cam for my nextbase which simply plugged into the front cam and wired to rear but no fuse box work
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
SeriousDave said:
I've always just had Halfords fit my dash cam, except for the rear cam for my nextbase which simply plugged into the front cam and wired to rear but no fuse box work
Where does the wire go on the A pillar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stellamaris5 said:
1. fuse 40/41 for the 12v socket

2. NexBase hardwire kit, earthing point founds on a little screw that holds the dashboard in

3. take the cover off that holds the airbag deactivationswitch - feels tight but if you use a plastic tool it pops off, held on by 4/5 clips, careful when removing so you don't pull the loom for the airbag. From there under the door seal, then on top of the A pillar round it on the join where it meets the headlining , then tucked in between window and headlining to the mirror and then down. Hope it won't interfere with the airbag as I can see it going that.

P.S. just found the rescue sheet for the Tarraco, link below , click on tarraco , then see more , then rescue sheet. not sure if you can make out whether it would be better to cross the a pillar at the bottom or top cause of the airbags, let me know what you think. https://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/manuals-offline.html
Thanks for that. Is fuse 40 for the 12V socket one that stays on after the ignition is turned off and you leave the car? I'd like to use one that turns off when you physically turn off the engine so thought the rear wiper fuse 47 would be a good candidate. I'm hoping it would keep the power on while the stop/start system is active but kill the power when the engine is turned off like my Karoq did.

I'll have to see the airbag deactivation switch when i get hold of the car because can't quite picture it at the moment. Is the 12v socket fuse hidden under this cover or is it just an unnecessary obstruction?

The rescue sheet shows the air bag running the full length down the A-pillar. So hard to tell if there's any benefit to run the cable across the pillar from the dashboard. Gut feel is telling me to cross the a pillar from the dashboard but not sure how tight the gap between the dash and A pillar cover is to hide the cable. Or live with the cable being visible for that small stretch. Another option that some people choose (again based on my last Karoq) is to open up the A pillar trim cover and run the cable behind the airbag and not in front of it. Maybe all this makes no difference whatsoever - no one's shared a bad story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
I have a dashcam (NextBase 312GW) that has a battery inside it, as far as I can tell it turns off after a couple of minutes once the ignition is off so the 12V (fuse 40) turns off as well after the ignition is off. Whether it turns off during start/stop I don't know as it has a battery but I very much doubt it. When we have our fridge plugged in it continues to run and turns off after a while to protect the battery so I assume fuse 40/41 is a good place to put it. Once you wire it up you can always move the fuse easily , the glove box comes out very easily. Lift the left hand arm up and release the box by lifting the the two flaps up on the back edge.

The airbag deactivation switch happens to be in the cover you need to remove to get access to the fuse box behind the glovebox (this is documented in the manual on how to remove), once removed you will see the obvious route for the cable.

I tried running it across the dashboard but found it very tight so decided to run it up in the door seal to the line where the A pillar meets the headliner and across.
https://fuse-box.info/seat/seat-tarraco-2019-fuses
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
stellamaris5 said:
SeriousDave said:
I've always just had Halfords fit my dash cam, except for the rear cam for my nextbase which simply plugged into the front cam and wired to rear but no fuse box work
Where does the wire go on the A pillar?
I've decided to not fit my cam to this car, I had the 512gw with the rear cam, I had it replaced 3 times due to faulty batteries and I truly just can't be arsed with them anymore, maybe it was just the 512gw with dodgy batteries but it was hard wired and the battery would last two minutes when you took it off the screen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
SeriousDave said:
stellamaris5 said:
SeriousDave said:
I've always just had Halfords fit my dash cam, except for the rear cam for my nextbase which simply plugged into the front cam and wired to rear but no fuse box work
Where does the wire go on the A pillar?
I've decided to not fit my cam to this car, I had the 512gw with the rear cam, I had it replaced 3 times due to faulty batteries and I truly just can't be arsed with them anymore, maybe it was just the 512gw with dodgy batteries but it was hard wired and the battery would last two minutes when you took it off the screen
I think that's how it supposed to work, the battery doesn't last long anyway , it's meant to be in the car plugged in, the battery is just for quick changes and to be able to run for a minute when the ignition is off to record and incidents that trigger the G force meter.

At least this is how I understand it,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 512gw too. About 7 months old but haven't used it off the mains so mine could be the same. You can still take the memory card out to review footage if the battery is totally dead. Then keep it on a fuse that's permanently on so that the engine shut off doesn't cut the power so sudden that it doesn't fully save the last file.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
SizzlingPotato said:
I have the 512gw too. About 7 months old but haven't used it off the mains so mine could be the same. You can still take the memory card out to review footage if the battery is totally dead. Then keep it on a fuse that's permanently on so that the engine shut off doesn't cut the power so sudden that it doesn't fully save the last file.
THat's why the 12v socket fuse is good, it keeps running for while unlike the rear wipers. If you're worried about draining the battery that should not happen as it will cut off power once the battery is below a certain limit.
This is by design and I like it, when we have our fridge plugged in for example it keeps running for a few minutes when we stop for petrol or breaks. Important when it's 40 degrees C outside
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
stellamaris5 said:
SizzlingPotato said:
I have the 512gw too. About 7 months old but haven't used it off the mains so mine could be the same. You can still take the memory card out to review footage if the battery is totally dead. Then keep it on a fuse that's permanently on so that the engine shut off doesn't cut the power so sudden that it doesn't fully save the last file.
THat's why the 12v socket fuse is good, it keeps running for while unlike the rear wipers. If you're worried about draining the battery that should not happen as it will cut off power once the battery is below a certain limit.
This is by design and I like it, when we have our fridge plugged in for example it keeps running for a few minutes when we stop for petrol or breaks. Important when it's 40 degrees C outside
Yea I'll do that. My work locations vary so when I'm not commuting by car for a few months I might swap to another fuse to prolong the battery from going flat.

Is the feature to cut the power when the car battery is at a certain point built in the car or in the fridge/cam/hardwire kit?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
SizzlingPotato said:
stellamaris5 said:
SizzlingPotato said:
I have the 512gw too. About 7 months old but haven't used it off the mains so mine could be the same. You can still take the memory card out to review footage if the battery is totally dead. Then keep it on a fuse that's permanently on so that the engine shut off doesn't cut the power so sudden that it doesn't fully save the last file.
THat's why the 12v socket fuse is good, it keeps running for while unlike the rear wipers. If you're worried about draining the battery that should not happen as it will cut off power once the battery is below a certain limit.
This is by design and I like it, when we have our fridge plugged in for example it keeps running for a few minutes when we stop for petrol or breaks. Important when it's 40 degrees C outside
Yea I'll do that. My work locations vary so when I'm not commuting by car for a few months I might swap to another fuse to prolong the battery from going flat.

Is the feature to cut the power when the car battery is at a certain point built in the car or in the fridge/cam/hardwire kit?
In the car and my previous car too, it's just the in built protection for the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
I wanted the dash am for when it's parked if someone hits it, supermarket car parked are a nightmare, if it's dead when the engines off its of no use to me :( my ring spotlight cam protects it at home just when out have to be extra picky were I park it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
SeriousDave said:
I wanted the dash am for when it's parked if someone hits it, supermarket car parked are a nightmare, if it's dead when the engines off its of no use to me :( my ring spotlight cam protects it at home just when out have to be extra picky were I park it.
Let me know if you find any , I'd be interested as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
102 Posts
Will do, i was looking at the new next base models at Halfords a few days ago, they already have the rear cam available for the new models as well, I'm hoping they have addressed the battery issues with these models, if I find anything out with some evidence of improved battery life I'll let you know
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
I hardwired my NextBase this weekend. I already had a hardwire kit from a previous camera, that provides 5v 2A. The plug was slightly too big to fit comfortably in to the hole in the GPS amount, but I was able to squeeze it in eventually.

With the camera fixed in place, I pushed the wire under the trim along to the A pillar, and went down on the inside of the windscreen to the base of the pillar. I then came around the bottom of the pillar to the side where the access panel is, I wasn't able to fully hide the wire here but a soft toy over the top keeps it out of sight :)

Once I was in the access panel I unscrewed the screen that faces down to allow me to ground my camera supply, and pushed the red wire for power through one of the holes into the fuse bay.

As I already had the small fuse adaptor fixed to my wiring from the previous fit, I opted to use fuse 32 (front camera & sensor) for my power source. I realised that Seat haven't bother to provide fuse tweezers, so had to dig out some long nosed pliers to allow me to finish the job!

I then went the same way with the wire for the rear camera. However I went along the top of the A pillar and around under the door seals. The main pillar between front and back doors doesn't have any real give for hiding the wire, but the one between the back door and small window was loose enough for me to get the wire behind.

I then went back and forth along the trim above the boot space until the wire was short enough for the camera to be mounted in the centre at the top of the boot window.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top