Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had issues with their Tarraco engine cutting out while driving along? I had it happen a few months ago and just put it down as a one-off. It wasnt a fun experience though. It cut out on a roundabout and luckily I was able to coast off and pull over. Power steering etc still worked fine. The car said "Start the engine manually" but didn't allow me to do it on the move. I've owned the car for 6 months , it's a 19 plate Xcellence diesel 190 AWD and until today that was the only time it had done this. Today I had trouble starting the car in a car park. Engine was well warmed and I'd only stopped for 15mins to shop. When I tried to start the engine the starter motor sounded a bit more whiney than usual but not sluggish and the car just wouldn't start. After a couple of attempts I turned it all off, waited a few moments and then it fired up no problem. Drove it for 10mins, stopped again for 5 mins for some chocolate and set off without incident. When I turned at a junction the car just went silent again and had cut out. Same message about starting manually. This time I was stuck blocking traffic and it took a number of attempts to get it started. I'm definitely concerned that this could happen again in a really bad location so I'll have to call the dealership.

Anyone have similar experience? It's the fact it cuts out on the move that most worried me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am not an expert on these things but it could be a fuel issue with the cold weather that has recently arrived the diesel likes to wax up if it is not winter spec. I imagine that some of the fuel stations may have been taken by surprise by the extent of the cold snap and still have summer spec fuel in their tanks. Like I say not an expert but have seen this before on other vehicles - usually when using supermarket fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am not an expert on these things but it could be a fuel issue with the cold weather that has recently arrived the diesel likes to wax up if it is not winter spec. I imagine that some of the fuel stations may have been taken by surprise by the extent of the cold snap and still have summer spec fuel in their tanks. Like I say not an expert but have seen this before on other vehicles - usually when using supermarket fuel.
Thanks baldboater. I'm not sure that'll be the issue as it did it the first time during the summer. I've booked it into the dealership (4 week wait) for them to run diagnostic and I'll just have to see how it goes. If it keeps happening the only thing I can think is to turn off Auto Start stop and see if that might be part of the issue as there's no cough or judder from the engine you might expect during a stall. It's more like its just shut off.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks baldboater. I'm not sure that'll be the issue as it did it the first time during the summer. I've booked it into the dealership (4 week wait) for them to run diagnostic and I'll just have to see how it goes. If it keeps happening the only thing I can think is to turn off Auto Start stop and see if that might be part of the issue as there's no cough or judder from the engine you might expect during a stall. It's more like its just shut off.

Thanks.
Hi, I had exactly the same problem whilst on a long journey and took the car to my registered dealer. They came up with similar suggestions and even tried blaming me for putting the wrong fuel in the tank! Scroll forward several weeks and travelling back from Essex to Scotland I had to pull off the road six times to stop / restart the engine in order to get 'normal' traction. I was advised by the dealer to contact Seat Assist and they sent an AA patrol out to my home. The AA man ran a diagnostic check and identified a fault with the fuel system. The vehicle was eventually transported to my dealer and after 3 days I was informed that the fuel system had major problems which would require a complete overhau at a cost of ca. £3.5k. Cut a long story short the vehicle was out of use for three weeks whilst parts were on order from Germany. The vehicle was finally relieased to me ten days ago and so far it is behaving very well. I can only suggest you contact Seat Assist and explain the problem - emphasising that in its present condition it is not safe to drive for any more than a short distance. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hi, I had exactly the same problem whilst on a long journey and took the car to my registered dealer. They came up with similar suggestions and even tried blaming me for putting the wrong fuel in the tank! Scroll forward several weeks and travelling back from Essex to Scotland I had to pull off the road six times to stop / restart the engine in order to get 'normal' traction. I was advised by the dealer to contact Seat Assist and they sent an AA patrol out to my home. The AA man ran a diagnostic check and identified a fault with the fuel system. The vehicle was eventually transported to my dealer and after 3 days I was informed that the fuel system had major problems which would require a complete overhau at a cost of ca. £3.5k. Cut a long story short the vehicle was out of use for three weeks whilst parts were on order from Germany. The vehicle was finally relieased to me ten days ago and so far it is behaving very well. I can only suggest you contact Seat Assist and explain the problem - emphasising that in its present condition it is not safe to drive for any more than a short distance. Hope this helps.
Was this a diesel as well or petrol?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car finally got into the dealership for them to run some diagnostics. Apparently it showed up that there was a pressure sensor malfunction. The replacement part was ordered and fitted the next day. I'll update again if the problem returns but fingers crossed that it's a simpler fix than was reported by dixiepeach1949.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a quick update on this one. It's been a few months now and no further issues with the car. Hopefully all good with the fix.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts