Seat Tarraco Forum banner

First time out with the tintent.

10K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Arno 
#1 ·
Just back from a bit of a road trip of 400 miles with the caravan on tow.

The Tarraco managed the van with ease, as I thought it would. What did concern me was the very small amount of clearance between the hitch and the rear bumper when hooked up. I can see the bumper getting damaged if I'm not carefull esp when unhitching. I have the electric tow bar so cannot see how I could fit a guard to it to stop damage. Has anyone else noticed?

#2 ·
Im out today for 1st time so will be good to see how car tows.
I no what you mean I hooked the van on a few weeks back to see if the clearance was ok and it's very close to the bumper.

#4 ·
Mines slightly lighter with MTPLM 1450
Also my car is the petrol so be good to see what the MPG will be on tow.
I used to tow with a 8th gen Honda Accord no problem but it was the 2.4 petrol.

#5 ·
Just a question Mcsimmo how did you get on with your nose weight of the caravan.
As our cars are only rated at 80kg
I'm running slightly over at 82kg

#8 ·
Well towed for 1st time yesterday and was very impressed with the power and stability of the car.
I made a good choice.
As for the tow hook I can see the problem when you unhitched.
If the piston is pushed in then as soon as you unhitched it pushes towards the bumper.
I must get in the habit of pulling forward a little when I'm in my spot to stop this.

#9 ·
Wood Motor vehicle Bumper Outdoor furniture Bench
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Light
Automotive tire Ruler Rectangle Wood Watch

Just thought that I would add my two pennworth to this discussion. I have a Brink detachable fitted and hopefully the attached photos will show the amount of clearance that I have. I've only towed my van once but I had no problems with hitching and unhitching. I have a nose weight allowance of 100kg which is plenty for me.
For the last few years I have used a £ shop garden kneeler when hitching and unhitching my van. As shown this just slots over the tow hitch and provides some protection in case of a slip.
Hope that helps.

Attachments

#11 ·
Has anybody got experience with towing a heavy caravan with the 2.0 TSI 4 drive?
We would like to buy a 2200 kg twin axle.
I know it will tow a regular 1600/1800 kg caravan like it isn't there but how about going to the max of the car?

#12 ·
Not a good idea with the kerb weight of our cars is around 1800k
Also the tow ball limit is 85k
If you want a big caravan like that you need something like a Range Rover sport

#13 ·
Tow ball limit is no problem, 85 kg is enough to have a good stability, 85 kg is the limit but in Holland and Germany almost everybody is driving with at least + 10 kg.
I have asked the same question in a German Facebook group.
The answer is: 2000 kg not a problem at all, easy! Some have tried 2300 kg and more, that also wasn't a problem at all.
I think your opinion has also to do with the fact that most caravans on your island aren't that big and heavy.
In Holland and Germany we are more used to heavy twin axles and more used to search the limits of what is possible.
Of course we have to make the car heavier with people and/or luggage so the weight ratio is better for towing a heavy caravan.
In a couple of weeks I am going to try it out with the 2200 kg Hobby twin axle of a friend of mine.
See what happens with the Tarraco.
I am fairly confident to be honest.

#15 ·
The power on our cars are fine even with the petrol engine.
In the uk they recommend not towing over 85% of the weight of caravan and car kerb weight ratio.
Iv towed in the past at 90% no problem but did fill unstable at times in cross winds.
Also hitch weight on cars tow bar should be between 5 and 7 % of caravan weight so even 5 % you will be looking at 120 kg on tow bar for stable towing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.