Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was loaned a MY21 Ateca Xperience and it was fitted with the new MIB3 infotainment with the 9.2" screen, Wireless CarPlay and wireless charging.

Needless to say I fell in love (not with the car, it was OK, the Tech).

As all this is available to MY21 Tarracos, does anybody know whether it is possible to upgrade, either as a whole or individually by sourcing constituent parts?

Just to give you an idea of how the experience is significantly better, the 9.2" screen is not only larger but also has higher resolution so fits much more information and it was a treat with CarPlay vs the 8.0". Also, wireless charging works instantly with wireless CarPlay connecting within a few seconds (the system recognises that the phone is charging and notifies accordingly).

Currently I am using the following two products to "simulate" the experience and even though they work OK they are not a match for the MIB3, e.g. the charging unit doesn't like thick phones and the CarPlay unit needs at least 30s to connect, every 20 connections or so it becomes unresponsive and needs rebooting, little annoyances but they count:

Connects2 CTQIUV03 10W Qi Universal Wireless Car Charger
Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Activator (Type C design)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So some progress for those that are interested.

MIB3 parts are not available yet (as it is very new) and the MIB2.5 parts are incompatible (I asked).

I have however made some progress re the wireless charging, the parts necessary are as follows:

5NC863330C9B9 Insert for stowage compartment satin black (RHD)
5NA980611 7.5" Wireless Charger Module For VW Tiguan (fits the Tarraco as well)

5NA980611 OEM is very expensive (>£200) so will probably go with a reclaimed from AliExpress and pray it doesn't blow up :).

WIll update this thread as and when MIB3 parts become available and the Mod thread with installation progress.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well that was a damp squib all right.

5NA980611 and 5NC863330C9B9 arrived only to find out upon trying to install that the centre console doesn't have the necessary cutout to be able to slot the 5NA980611.

It turns out the models built without factory wireless charging are fitted with centre console 5NC863241A (RHD) which is solid plastic whereas the console with the cutout is 5NC863241C (RHD).

Sod this for a game of soldiers, will stick with the solution I have until now (Connects2 CTQIUV03 10W Qi Universal Wireless Car Charger and Carlinkit 2.0 Wireless CarPlay Activator (Type C design), I just need to mount the Connects2 properly as I have it on double sided tape thinking the OEM solution would work.

Still looking into the MIB3 retrofit, if only just for the 9.2" screen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
valentino said:
Is it the that the wireless car link is fragile as apple can at any point shut the back door via the exposed API?
You will need to clarify, my understanding is that the iPhone doesn't know any different, as far as it is concerned it is connecting to a Wireless CarPlay module.

·
Registered
76 Posts
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/20/01/28/this-dongle-can-upgrade-you-to-wireless-carplay-for-cheap/amp/

CarPlay via dongle to achieve wireless where the actual car is wired is not an apple supported setup. I was reading this article that suggested that depending on the dongle you buy there is no guarantee that Apple would not change something in the IOS that would make the dongle no longer supported as its not an official CarPlay wireless device.

This is one of the reasons why I decided not to get it just yet...

But hey if it works it work! :)))

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
valentino said:
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/appleinsider.com/articles/20/01/28/this-dongle-can-upgrade-you-to-wireless-carplay-for-cheap/amp/

CarPlay via dongle to achieve wireless where the actual car is wired is not an apple supported setup. I was reading this article that suggested that depending on the dongle you buy there is no guarantee that Apple would not change something in the IOS that would make the dongle no longer supported as its not an official CarPlay wireless device.

This is one of the reasons why I decided not to get it just yet...

But hey if it works it work! :)))
It would be unsupported if done via software (usually a MIB specific app).

This is actually a hardware implementation that extends CarPlay, the car thinks it is connected to a wired CarPlay device, whereas the phone thinks it is connected to a Wireless CarPlay device.

The hardware simply completes the handshake following standard CarPlay protocols, Apple would need to stop supporting CarPlay altogether to make this implementation stop working and why would they want to do that anyway? This solution simply changes the CarPlay connection method, doesn't change any IOS or Car functionality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cool! Yes if hardware it should work!

Does it mean that every time the phone enters the car or it asks you to connect? What's the battery life like?

Sometimes I find I do not want to initiate car play

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
valentino said:
Cool! Yes if hardware it should work!

Does it mean that every time the phone enters the car or it asks you to connect? What's the battery life like?

Sometimes I find I do not want to initiate car play
It is not perfect (not as good as the native MIB3 wiress charging/CarPlay combo at least) but works sufficiently well.

You need to pair your phone once (the first time, only works with one phone paired at a time, to use it with another phone you need to unpair the existing one and pair the new one) with the device and then it takes about 30 seconds for negotiation and CarPlay to appear in the MIB.

Once every 20 or 30 handshakes it freezes and needs restarting, either unplug/plug the device from the USB port or restart the MIB (long press) both have the same effect.

Battery life is as expected with Wireless CarPlay (i.e. drains quickly, esp if you use Waze as I do) that is why you really need to combine with a decent wireless charging solution, hence the Connects2.

If you don't want to initiate CarPlay then during the handshake tap the green button to stop the process, as it takes quite a bit to complete you will have ample time to cancel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I cannot get the wireless carplay connection as well...i got my new tarraco since 1 week and i am getting crazy to have the wireless connection working! I don't receive the message for choosing bet. BT and carplay... It goes straight to the BT mode... I went to Seat Dealer and they told me Tarraco does not have wireless carplay connection... Really don't know what do...

If anybody knows the procedure, please share, i am really concerned witb this problems..

Thanks to all

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Superalo77 said:
I cannot get the wireless carplay connection as well...i got my new tarraco since 1 week and i am getting crazy to have the wireless connection working! I don't receive the message for choosing bet. BT and carplay... It goes straight to the BT mode... I went to Seat Dealer and they told me Tarraco does not have wireless carplay connection... Really don't know what do...

If anybody knows the procedure, please share, i am really concerned witb this problems..

Thanks to all
Is your car the FaceLift with MIB3? You will know if it is if it has the 9.2" screen.

MIB3 (9.2") only has native Wireless CarPlay and Wireless Charging.

Tarraco MIB2 8"
Land vehicle Gps navigation device Map Plant Output device

Tarraco MIB3 9.2"
Vehicle Automotive design Gadget Car Communication Device

Attachments

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Superalo77 said:
I have the 9.2 MIB3, no phisical buttons. Tarraco FR, wireless charger.
Then the dealer you went is talking out of their back side.

Take it to another dealer that knows what they are doing.

A few seconds after you put the phone in the wireless charging slot (CarPlay is power hungry) it should be picked up by the system and give you the option to add it.

Make sure you unpair it from BT if you have paired it as it can't play (see what I did there?) both ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks t_v. Basically i need to unpair BT (and wireless?). I suppose i should disconnet and forget myseat on the iphone, correct? Then I just put the phone in the wireless charger, no other actions?
Let me try, thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Superalo77 said:
I tried to put the iphone in wireless charger but nothing happened... It is a course....
OK, forget about the wireless charging for a moment and focus on wireless CarPlay.

Remove all phone instances from MIB (BT, Wireless) and have a look at this it is in Turkish but the steps can easily be seen (and the lad is holding his phone right in front of the camera so it is definitely wireless).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks, i will try again. My problem is that when i connect with BT, it doesn't ask me to choose bet. BT or CarPlay, it goes straight in BT mode...
You guys can connect wirelesse carplay in your Tarraco, no issues?

·
Registered
36 Posts
No issue at all.
You don't have to select between BT and CarPlay.
It connects through BT as you would connect any phone and then, your phone will ask you if you want to allow CarPlay for this connection.

I can try to reset the connection later today to post a step by step procedure if needed

·
Registered
36 Posts
Depending on the version of iOS, you might also have to enable CarPlay (settings/CarPlay/on) first and activate Siri as well...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts