Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

So I'm an Ateca owner considering a size upgrade to the Tarraco as I could really do with a couple of extra seats.

So far the rather dramatic price jump is stopping me. My Ateca is the equivalent in spec level to Xcellence Lux on the tarraco and I'm not keen on downgrading trim levels for two extra seats and less reactive handling.

I haven't spoken to dealer yet regarding price, only looked at prices online at SEAT which seem extortionate (over £400 a month even with £6000 deposit put down on 48 month solution plan!).

Has anyone been able to get any decent pcp (solutions) deals on the tarraco in xcellence lux trim?

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Check out offer websites such as :

http://drivethedeal.com/buy-a-new-car/SEAT/TARRACO%20ESTATE/index.html
https://www.carwow.co.uk/seat/tarraco/deals

These can give you an idea as to how cheap you can get the new car for to your exact specification. However have a proper look at the spec sheet and decide what you definitely want, and what you could skip on. Speak to your local dealer and see what they can actually get that might be e.g. a cancelled order, so you might be able to get a good deal there.

I got a good deal because I went for something the dealer already had available (an SE First Edition) - it was meant to have been a demo but was the car sitting in the showroom for people to gawk at. As such I got about 25% off list price, and it had 12 miles on the clock when I went to collect!

·
Registered
436 Posts
I jumped in Q1 of this year when they had 0% PCP, paying 315 a month for the xcellence trim with 3k deposit and then payed outright for the panoroof on top as I added it later. I have the 150 manual diesel which is listed at 31900

as above look at deals form brokers online and get the dealer to match or order from the broker itself if you are willing to travel to collect the car.

But I know it seems a big jump in price but the Tarraco is another league compared to the Ateca. The Tarraco is basically the same car as the Tiguan AllSpace with different bumpers and screen inside.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
stellamaris5 said:
I jumped in Q1 of this year when they had 0% PCP, paying 315 a month for the xcellence trim with 3k deposit and then payed outright for the panoroof on top as I added it later. I have the 150 manual diesel which is listed at 31900

as above look at deals form brokers online and get the dealer to match or order from the broker itself if you are willing to travel to collect the car.

But I know it seems a big jump in price but the Tarraco is another league compared to the Ateca. The Tarraco is basically the same car as the Tiguan AllSpace with different bumpers and screen inside.
Had a quote back from carwow quoting around the £28000 mark, but when translated to monthly's on pcp it still came in well over £400 a month. Seems they want a lot more interest on repayments than they did with the Ateca, which had the same price tag when i bought it.

I'm not convinced it is a league above the Ateca, since the Ateca is based on the tiguan, has an almost identical features list to the tarraco looks very similar inside and out and has better handling, better fuel economy, real exhausts rather than the fake ones on the tarraco and has an integrated infotainment screen rather than the bolt on one and is available as a 300bhp cupra version. Perhaps you mean the smaller Arona which is made using cheaper interior materials, hard plastics etc?

The only features that tarraco has above Ateca is heated rear seats, folding tray tables and a rear usb.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the tarraco, but it is basically just a stretched Ateca to fit in two extra seats, which is fine cos that's what I want, but I feel the price is too steep for what it is when compared with the Ateca. It's should be a bit more expensive but not way more expensive like it is.

Also I'm looking at the TSI as opposed to the diesel since the tax on diesels is crazy and they are far too sluggish and unresponsive.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Uggzy2014 said:
stellamaris5 said:

Had a quote back from carwow quoting around the £28000 mark, but when translated to monthly's on pcp it still came in well over £400 a month. Seems they want a lot more interest on repayments than they did with the Ateca, which had the same price tag when i bought it.

I'm not convinced it is a league above the Ateca, since the Ateca is based on the tiguan, has an almost identical features list to the tarraco looks very similar inside and out and has better handling, better fuel economy, real exhausts rather than the fake ones on the tarraco and has an integrated infotainment screen rather than the bolt on one and is available as a 300bhp cupra version. Perhaps you mean the smaller Arona which is made using cheaper interior materials, hard plastics etc?

The only features that tarraco has above Ateca is heated rear seats, folding tray tables and a rear usb.

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the tarraco, but it is basically just a stretched Ateca to fit in two extra seats, which is fine cos that's what I want, but I feel the price is too steep for what it is when compared with the Ateca. It's should be a bit more expensive but not way more expensive like it is.

Also I'm looking at the TSI as opposed to the diesel since the tax on diesels is crazy and they are far too sluggish and unresponsive.
The Ateca is not like the Tiguan, it's actually smaller. The Tarraco is not a stretched Ateca. The Tiguan interior is exactly the same up to the b pillar like the AllSpace and the Tarraco

Ateca is 15cms shorter than the Tiguan and has 5cms shorter wheelbase.
The rear doors on the Tarraco are a lot longer than on the Ateca so entry and exit is a different league. The rear legroom doesn't compare to the Ateca. Also the screen is actually not bolted on, it is integrated but it does stick out a bit but in my opinion in a better place than the low down screens in both the Ateca and Karoq as you dont need to take your eyes low off the road.

Yes the engine choice is limited as the car was only just launched vs the Ateca since 2016. FR and hybrid versions to come soon. If budget is tight I would say wait a bit more for the prices to come down and offers to be better

The lowest price you'll probably get for the Tarraco (entry model) is around 24k , not bad considering the starting price 28k.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
stellamaris5 said:
Uggzy2014 said:
stellamaris5 said:

The Ateca is not like the Tiguan, it's actually smaller. The Tarraco is not a stretched Ateca. Trust me.

Ateca is 15cms shorter than the Tiguan and has 5cms shorter wheelbase.
The rear doors on the Tarraco are a lot longer than on the Ateca so entry and exit is a different league. The rear legroom doesn't compare to the Ateca. Also the screen is actually not bolted on, it is integrated but it does stick out a bit but in my opinion in a better place than the low down screens in both the Ateca and Karoq as you dont need to take your eyes low off the road.

Yes the engine choice is limited as the car was only just launched vs the Ateca since 2016. FR and hybrid versions to come soon. If budget is tight I would say wait a bit more for the prices to come down and offers to be better

The lowest price you'll probably get for the Tarraco (entry model) is around 24k , not bad considering the starting price 28k.
The label price is irrelevant since it's the interest that matters, as you said wait for deals which is what I am doing but I'm not holding my breath, given their current pricing strategy of asking for massive deposits and slapping huge interest rates on.

I doubt we will see an fr since this has not been mentioned since the tarraco was first launched, despite SEAT originally saying we would have seen it by now.

I think they are struggling to sell it to be honest, certainly the guys at our local dealership did not seem keen on it. Should just point out I have seen it, sat in it and it it really does look like stretched Ateca to me, and I know it is a carbon copy of the tiguan allspace and skoda kodiaq, as we all know vwag cars are all the sam cars with differebt body kits. The fact Ateca may be 15cm shorter than tiguan does not mean it's not based on it, or that its doors are small, thats certainly not my experience with it, belive me i drive one and it has plenty of rear leg room. Seat aren't going to design a brand new car from the ground up when they can run over to the VW parts lock up and bolt one together out of that are they think you will find it is not very different from tiguan.

Besides obviously the tarraco is going to have more rear leg room as the seat has to move forward to let people in the back row after which lets be honest there is very little leg room in either the second or third rows. In any case.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It will never sell in the numbers the Ateca will as it's class above and more expensive, however compare it to Disco Sport, 5008, Kodiaq, AllSpace, SantaFe, Sorento (all more expensive when added the same extras that come standard on the Tarraco) and you will see it is actually cheap compared to those.

I know it's a hard fact to swallow that you pay so much more just for an extra 30cms of car but that's how it works unfortunately. Trust me, I have researched for one year and almost pulled the trigger on both the Kodiaq and 5008 butr I am very glad now I didn't and waited for the Tarraco.

Having said that , it's my first VAG car so you are probably already bored with Ateca and similar things so the TArraco is not really a revelation to you but for me the car is EPIC.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Also you can always take VWFS finance deal and contributions then cancel the finance within the 14 days cooling off period without incurring interest and finance the car differently, either take a personal loan out (at 3%) or pay in cash.

·
Registered
436 Posts
stellamaris5 said:
thats certainly not my experience with it, belive me i drive one and it has plenty of rear leg room.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I have tested the Ateca and when I sit in the front at 6 foot 1, I push the seat all the way back and when I the sit behind me I am virtually touching the the back of the seat with my knees.

On the Tarraco same scenario, I have 10-15cms space left for the knees. Perhaps when you sat in the Tarraco you forgot to slide the middle row bench all the way back. (we only used the third row once as we dont need it and I would have bought the 5 seat version had it been available in the UK)

The Tarracos rear doors are as big as the front doors which is not the case for the Ateca , they are shorter, translating as less space!

So for us the third row is kinda irrelevant but for you it seems you need the seats 6 and 7 so your requirements are different.

·
Registered
87 Posts
stellamaris5 said:
Also you can always take VWFS finance deal and contributions then cancel the finance within the 14 days cooling off period without incurring interest and finance the car differently, either take a personal loan out (at 3%) or pay in cash.
Not true. You will incur a small amount of interest over the period it takes to pay the outstanding balance. However, you will still be able to take advantage of the free servicing, and any deposit contributions that are added as a proviso for you taking finance in the first place...

(allegedly)

TBH I think some dealers even say this to people coming in with the cash / bankers draft, even up to Bentleys. Finance the car, get the extras, pay off the finance in the next week. The only problem is, you're then tied to having the vehicle over the next three or four years i.e. no option of VT after you've paid half, no handing back instead of financing/paying the balloon...

·
Registered
436 Posts
redvers76 said:
stellamaris5 said:
Not true. You will incur a small amount of interest over the period it takes to pay the outstanding balance. However, you will still be able to take advantage of the free servicing, and any deposit contributions that are added as a proviso for you taking finance in the first place...

(allegedly)

TBH I think some dealers even say this to people coming in with the cash / bankers draft, even up to Bentleys. Finance the car, get the extras, pay off the finance in the next week. The only problem is, you're then tied to having the vehicle over the next three or four years i.e. no option of VT after you've paid half, no handing back instead of financing/paying the balloon...
If you ask for a settlement figure then yes but if you exercise your right to withdraw within the 14 day cooling off period (during which the finance agreement doesn't really start as the first payment is usually taken the following month) you don't .

Obviously, this is cheaper overall as you don't pay interest but you are still required to pay the full amount including the baloon so you own the car outright and can always sell it probably for a better price.

https://www.thecarexpert.co.uk/forums/topic/pcp/

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
stellamaris5 said:
stellamaris5 said:
thats certainly not my experience with it, belive me i drive one and it has plenty of rear leg room.
We'll have to agree to disagree, I have tested the Ateca and when I sit in the front at 6 foot 1, I push the seat all the way back and when I the sit behind me I am virtually touching the the back of the seat with my knees.

On the Tarraco same scenario, I have 10-15cms space left for the knees. Perhaps when you sat in the Tarraco you forgot to slide the middle row bench all the way back. (we only used the third row once as we dont need it and I would have bought the 5 seat version had it been available in the UK)

The Tarracos rear doors are as big as the front doors which is not the case for the Ateca , they are shorter, translating as less space!

So for us the third row is kinda irrelevant but for you it seems you need the seats 6 and 7 so your requirements are different.
True, I'm only a shorty at 5ft 7" so I don't have those issues, but I still think leg room in the rear of Ateca is more than adequate for most people, but perhaps not as luxurious as the tarraco.

Honestly was not aware you could do that with the finance, seems very clever but a bit cheeky to me, and would that not increase the monthly payment since you would be paying off the whole value of the car including the balloon in a shorter period of time?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Yes it would. When you do PCP you do the same but leave a large payment at the end. Same end result. And you pay interest on the whole amount borrowed over the pcp agreement length (front loaded) not just the part you are paying off.

That's why the monthlies are so high as the interest is added for the whole amount including the baloon payment. It's an expensive loan basically.

I only took PCP as it was 0% so I am not loosing anything.

You might be in luck, Looks like they are doing the 0% again. Have a look on the offers page.
And them not selling well is actually to your advantage as dealer will want to shift stock cars at good deals rather than keep them in stock and loose money.

·
Registered
87 Posts
stellamaris5 said:
redvers76 said:
stellamaris5 said:

(allegedly)

If you ask for a settlement figure then yes but if you exercise your right to withdraw within the 14 day cooling off period (during which the finance agreement doesn't really start as the first payment is usually taken the following month) you don't .

Obviously, this is cheaper overall as you don't pay interest but you are still required to pay the full amount including the baloon so you own the car outright and can always sell it probably for a better price.

Be careful. I wouldn't want to say I am an expert in the matter, however, if you exercise the Right of Withdrawal, you're totally cancelling the finance agreement. By law, any inducements received under that agreement can also be cancelled i.e. you may lose the free services, the finance company may claw back the deposit contribution* from the dealer (so they'll come after you for it).

It might not happen, you may get lucky, but if you've got a £3k deposit contribution and £500 worth of "free" services for taking the finance, is it worth the risk when you'll be paying maybe £5 in interest payments, and having fulfilled the finance agreement (albeit paying it off super early) then you keep the DC & servicing...

* some contributions come from the finance company, some from the brand. you may not know where yours is coming from at the point you take out the deal, but I think the brand ones are less likely to be recovered... and if they do get recovered and you get stung, it's probably because of a report I wrote about 2 years ago that they were finally getting commercial/legal sign off to start using in anger just around the time i stopped working for them :lol:

·
Registered
436 Posts
redvers76 said:
stellamaris5 said:
redvers76 said:

(allegedly)

Be careful. I wouldn't want to say I am an expert in the matter, however, if you exercise the Right of Withdrawal, you're totally cancelling the finance agreement. By law, any inducements received under that agreement can also be cancelled i.e. you may lose the free services, the finance company may claw back the deposit contribution* from the dealer (so they'll come after you for it).

It might not happen, you may get lucky, but if you've got a £3k deposit contribution and £500 worth of "free" services for taking the finance, is it worth the risk when you'll be paying maybe £5 in interest payments, and having fulfilled the finance agreement (albeit paying it off super early) then you keep the DC & servicing...

* some contributions come from the finance company, some from the brand. you may not know where yours is coming from at the point you take out the deal, but I think the brand ones are less likely to be recovered... and if they do get recovered and you get stung, it's probably because of a report I wrote about 2 years ago that they were finally getting commercial/legal sign off to start using in anger just around the time i stopped working for them :lol:
Interesting. I've seen a lot of people do this (allegedly) and noone ever had any issues with the clawback. I don't know how they would claw back the money as it wasn't borrowed in the first place? Unless it's written in the agreement that the deal depends on completion of the agreement, I can't see how they could enforce that. These are just discounts disguised as other incentives and once the invoice price is produced and the dealer paid by the finance company, that's where it end as far as the dealer is concerned? NO? You are dealing with a bank from then on basically.

·
Registered
87 Posts
stellamaris5 said:
Interesting. I've seen a lot of people do this (allegedly) and noone ever had any issues with the clawback. I don't know how they would claw back the money as it wasn't borrowed in the first place? Unless it's written in the agreement that the deal depends on completion of the agreement, I can't see how they could enforce that. These are just discounts disguised as other incentives and once the invoice price is produced and the dealer paid by the finance company, that's where it end as far as the dealer is concerned? NO? You are dealing with a bank from then on basically.
When I worked there they were having a big project to sort out Deposit Contributions. While brand incentives work as you say, ones that the finance company have provided effectively come out of their budget instead. If you cancel the finance, sure a new car is on the road, but the finance company have lost a customer (and steady income, and ability to use future asset value as part of a security)

Say the dealer sells the car for £10k, brand provide £1k DC, finance produce £1k DC, you effectively pay £8k for car. If you cancel finance, brand don't care but finance do, as they have lost any incentive they had to provide a deposit contribution.

On some more expensive vehicles (eg Bentley or top end Audi) the dc could be as much as £10k... lose a few of them and your budget calculations stop working!

I found just over a £million in DC discrepancies with a report that was just looking at Skoda for 1 quarter - multiply across all brands, all periods, you find that there are a LOT of these things going on at certain dealerships, some might say the dealer was advising people to do that.

Like I said they were planning to change this behaviour by pushing back to the dealer and completely unwinding the finance, and everything associated with it. Given the market currently they might not bother rocking the boat so you'll probably get away with it, but for the sake of a fiver in interest I know what I would do :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.