Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recall seeing in a previous post about changing the throttle response, but I can't find any mention of it in the available apps in the OBD11 app. Could someone with some experience of this mod please give me a clue how I go about getting it done?

I have the Pro version if that helps.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It seems this setting has nothing to do with the throttle and is a misnomer. There's an extensive thread on the VWVortex community but i think this is the summary, inc a video of what is happening. It's actually related to the steering response :D

We've had some great discussion on this topic including data sharing. This thread has gotten long so I just wanted to summarize my personal info collected to-date and my conclusions on this project:

There is a popular change that folks can/do make to their VW/Audis using OBDEleven and VCDS referred to commonly as the "direct throttle mod". I believe this same mod is also handled by Carista under a different name but I do not have the info on this. A simple poll of many forums/FB/YouTube indicates this is a popular change with many stating it makes a significant change and reduces lag when taking off from a start or during slow-acceleration. There is a minority of reports that I have seen that say they felt nothing with this change.
This mod is shown here (OBDEleven/VCDS):

Steering Assistance/Adaptation/Driving profile switchover
Change from "Incremental, controlled over time" to "Direct, controlled over threshold value"

This same change can be done using an "App" in OBDEleven called "Throttle pedal response" and is stated in the app to "Increase the response speed of your throttle pedal".

I have logged various parameters that should show that this change is in-fact occurring which should be related to the accelerator position (%), accelerator switch output (volts), and the corresponding throttle position/volts. I also logged "driver torque request" as something that may have been changed with these settings. My data do not show that there is any difference in any of these parameters w/r to the "direct" vs. "indirect" settings.

I have done my logging/testing on both a 2018 Golf Sportwagen that is tuned as well as a 2018 Atlas. As with most OBDEleven/VCDS changes, they are consistent across the MQB platform and is the reason why many of the tweaks/mods are shared across different MQB vehicles. Many have said that the mod works on the Atlas as well as other MQB vehicles (R, GTI, standard Golf, Alltrack).

I have also determined that what this adaptation channel/change does. This adaptation changes the time it takes to switch the steering weight/feel between drive modes, if you vehicles has this option. So in vehicles with multiple drive modes, steering is impacted in sport mode (gets firmer/heavier). When you make this change from indirect to direct, the time it takes the steering to change to the new setting happens instantly (as soon as you turn the knob/use the menus in the Infotainment) vs. a slight lag when you are in the default "indirect" setting. If your vehicle doesn't have drive-mode selections that impact the steering, this change has no impact. This is shown clearly in this video (pardon my un-professional attitude that I had while making this):

It is my conclusion, based on my data, that folks that feel this change are feeling a placebo effect and are in-fact just pushing the accelerator harder after they make this change which yields the better response that they feel. This was shown by a log from a member (post 49) where they stated that they felt that they were getting better response with the setting to "direct" on some of their acceleration tests but the data clearly showed that they were in-fact pushing the accelerator harder during these events than previous ones that were done with the setting to "indirect". Finally, the naming convention chosen by the developers of OBDEleven (and Carista?) have aided in propagating this mod as doing what it advertises with no logging/data to back it.

A pedal tuner is the only way to increase the responsiveness of the accelerator which works by boosting the output voltage of the accelerator switch therefore giving more throttle movement for a given amount of pedal travel. Data for the pedal tuner are shown in the post above (78).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.