Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a play with the OBDeleven dongle to get the wireless carplay to work?

I just bought a dongle thing but could send it back and save £100 if the below (lifted from OBDeleven skoda app request section) works, i'm offshore at the minute so waiting on my stuff to be delivered.

App name: Wireless CarPlay

Module : 5F. (Information Control Unit)

Adaptation

Vehicle Configuration

MirrorLink = On
WiFi_Client_HMI = On
Apple_DIO_Wireless = On
wlan_5ghz_switch = Activated
Apple_DIO = On

Smartphone_interface_for_rhmi : activated
Remote_HMI : on

Under installation list DK-1 Systems:

Data_Medium : yes
Multimedia_extension : yes
Media_connector : yes

Under installation for external media, activation:

Connection 1 : activated
Connection 2 : activated
Connection 3 : not activated
Connection 4 : not activated

------------------

Additional input from Audi A7 owner:

Reboot the MMI (not sure how you do that!), or lock the car, and give it an hour or two - that's what I did.

Do not plug your Apple device into USB !!

Make sure the WIFI hot-spot is turned on in the MMI settings.

Pair your Apple device with Bluetooth - it should now ask if you want to enable CarPlay.

If it doesn't, delete the pairing, and connect to the car's wifi first from the Apple device, and try pairing via Bluetooth again.

Mine worked fine first time, and has worked successfully each and every time I've entered the car.

There's some additional settings for CarPlay under nhtsa_properties, I've not touched any of them, as I have no idea what effect they have.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't believe the Tarraco has any WiFi capability so wireless CarPlay can't work.

I have the Carlinkit adapter which works well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Theres plenty mention of WLAN in the manual. But they are too generic, i've got an xcellence lux. Surely it wouldnt be too hard to provide a car specific manual for each car.

Its quite poor that in this day and age, items like wireless carplay isnt the standard everywhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm fairly sure that none of the UK models have WiFi capability. My previous Tiguan DID have but not wireless CarPlay.

Most of the 2021 model VW derivatives are shipping with wireless CarPlay.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bobbytoad said:
Which wireless dongle did you get? Is it any good?
I got the carplay2air one, it does as advertised, but doesn't connect as quickly as just the usual Bluetooth connection.

The Bluetooth will connect before I leave my driveway, the dongle takes until the end of the street.

I like having the album artwork up on the screen, and the ability to reply to messages by voice. But I don't go far enough that I can't reply within ten-fifteen minutes?

Is it worth it? I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wireless CarPlay only makes sense if there is also wireless charging - using my phone as a SatNav without it being charged drains the battery pretty quickly. If I added a dongle I'd still need to plug my phone into the USB next to it to charge so I can't see the point of the dongle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've wireless charging in my tarraco and a Carlinkit dongle and it generally works well, but I've found that if you use the two together on long journeys the wireless charger heats up my phone so much the whole thing crashes. I actually prefer plugging in a usb in the rear port behind the centre armrest while using wireless CarPlay

·
Registered
306 Posts
Jack1364 said:
I've wireless charging in my tarraco and a Carlinkit dongle and it generally works well, but I've found that if you use the two together on long journeys the wireless charger heats up my phone so much the whole thing crashes. I actually prefer plugging in a usb in the rear port behind the centre armrest while using wireless CarPlay
The Carlinkit 2.0 has a USB port for those long drives where Wireless charging may not be preferable.

I also have this which fits perfectly in the console gap (check your mobile dimensions + case) and use for medium/long drives when GPS drain is assured.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.