Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am just curious to what others think about the rad fans on our cars. I have the 190 TSI, and even after a short drive the fans really go for it when you shut down the engine, way more than i would have expected. The car has behaved perfectly, just seems a bit over the top especially when the engine is hardly up to temperature!

This is probably normal, does this happen for you too?

Cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
The fan stays on to cool the turbo, as staying hot and not spinning can cause damage. It's perfectly normal ;)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think it excessive also. First car I have owned (five previous were turbo boosted, three petrol, two diesel) where the fan is cooling for several minutes after shutdown, say 50% of time, same 104km journey, mostly motorway and dual carriageway).

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have no complaints about mine, never heard the fan, not even in +40°C.
My last van (VW T6 204 TDI), that was an excessive fan sound!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
My previous car was a 15 Leon xperience 2.0 TDi 150hp and it done exactly the same

·
Registered
174 Posts
I do mainly short trips and I've heard it running too. Not all the time though so not sure what are the circumstances when it does come on. Once heard it taking off during the engine stop/start interval on a short drive too.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Diesel cars can run the fan for several minutes if the vehicle is doing a routine particulate filter burn off! Cars running short journeys are more likely to hear this.

·
Registered
174 Posts
iBarryJ said:
Diesel cars can run the fan for several minutes if the vehicle is doing a routine particulate filter burn off! Cars running short journeys are more likely to hear this.
The petrol engines should have particulate filters now too so guess they do the same cycles to burn the particles off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the responses, looks like it is not uncommon, which is all i was after. Modern cars are always doing something as part of emissions control etc!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.