Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once non-essential travel restrictions are lifted, I will be hanging two electric bikes, with combined weight of 45kgs, off the back of my Tarraco. Has any body done this yet and if so, can you offer experience of the effect the additional weight may have on the handling of the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
I hook a 1600kg tintent onto the back of mine and it does not affect handling. A towball fitted to a Taracco will take 80kg noseweight, so you should be okay with that weight. But I'm not an expert.

Looking at the position of your frame I think that obscuring your rear lights and number plate might be a bit of a problem if you dont have a trailer board.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hopefully there will be enough room between the bikes and my caravan, which also will be hung off the back of the car as well!

·
Registered
445 Posts
45kg on a tailgate carrier is not something I would want to do, especially the one in your pic. At least find one that will have bottom support that rests on the bumper to take the weight. Cantilevered 45kg+ the weight of the rack is going to put a lot of force on the touch points, especially over bumps.

I have this rack (9106) and it clamps onto the tailgate and pulls tight, no straps. Rock soild and the weight handling is only 30kg max load, so I can't see how you expect to get 45kg onto your one.

https://www.thule.com/en-gb/buyers-guide?c=bike+carriers&q=HFPuPggrE

·
Registered
320 Posts
I'm a fan on the racks that sit on the tow bar.
But if your towing a caravan as well this is not an option

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On previous cars, Daihatsu Fourtrack, Audi A6, Land Rover Discovery Sport, all had tow bar mounted cycle racks. (I've been towing caravans and carrying bikes for over 35 years!!). The Tarraco has a retractable tow bar and no back plate, so there is no tow bar mounted cycle rack that can be used.

When researching a rear mounted cycle rack, there are a number of racks that will take 45kgs including Thule. The one I have bought, and is in the photo, is an Italian make called Peruzzo. They advertise it as specifically for eBikes because the wheel trays are further apart than for normal bikes and can carry up to 45 kgs. You Tube has a good video of the rack being used for eBikes.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You're a brave guy for sure. Let us know how much the repair on the tailgate costs after your trip. :mrgreen:

Back to seriousness, I really don't think you should be hanging 45kg off that rack.

Ultimately, it's your car and your choice.

Can you not fit the bikes inside the caravan?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Good shout vib
Or get a frame to attached to the rear of caravan like you get on motor homes might be another option

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Simol,
Sorry something just doesnt look right the way that rack is set up - maybe just the angle of the pic.

Am looking generally for one myself but for 2x lighter bikes & dont fancy either roof mount or towbar options.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Get the Thule one I got or if you after something universal, then the Saris Bones.

I have no problem with universal carriers, it was more the weight that Simol is planning to carry and the pressure points of his cycle rack on the tailgate that is of concern.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.