Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sat Nav has lost my location on several occasions and the screen shows me crossing fields and rivers etc. The first time it happened the instruction was to follow a road miles away, take turns that didn't exist etc. Eventually it just froze.
I have been back to the dealer who could not find a fault code, therefore no fix without a fault code just wait and see if it did it again. It did and is booked in again, this time we have evidence on a mobile phone (taken by a passenger).

Has anyone had similar problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
iainpeter said:
My Sat Nav has lost my location on several occasions and the screen shows me crossing fields and rivers etc. The first time it happened the instruction was to follow a road miles away, take turns that didn't exist etc. Eventually it just froze.
I have been back to the dealer who could not find a fault code, therefore no fix without a fault code just wait and see if it did it again. It did and is booked in again, this time we have evidence on a mobile phone (taken by a passenger).

Has anyone had similar problems.
Welcome! Not had this issue but I don't use the inbuilt SatNav only AppleCar Play / Waze.

If it happens I will report back.

Try to reboot the system by pressing and holding down the volume knob for 10 seconds at least (takes while) until the SEAT screen comes back.

Try to reinsert the SDcard in the glovebox. Could be a corrupted card.

Does it freeze on other screens or only on the SatNav?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I had the exact same problem.

When did you get your car? I got one of the early ones and had to have the windscreen replaced after a few days. Whilst it was in the Seat garage for calibration, they advised that there was a software update needed due to a fault with the SOS call system.

This software update knocked out my satnav and GPS and was showing me in the Irish Sea at some stage. I have now been back to the garage who have tried to reinstall the update patch, without success.

I have to book it in again for two days to wipe the whole software and have it reinstalled...pain in the backside...and hey don't know if it will work....Seat have been useless...induction charging system needs to be replaced as this is also broken from outset....dealer advised three times that the part was ordered and still not here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
iainpeter said:
My Sat Nav has lost my location on several occasions and the screen shows me crossing fields and rivers etc. The first time it happened the instruction was to follow a road miles away, take turns that didn't exist etc. Eventually it just froze.
I have been back to the dealer who could not find a fault code, therefore no fix without a fault code just wait and see if it did it again. It did and is booked in again, this time we have evidence on a mobile phone (taken by a passenger).

Has anyone had similar problems.
Not 100% sure, but I think the sat nav in the Ateca & Leon is the same one as tarraco, it looks it in the reviews. If so, a lot of newer roads are not on the system so quite often you get the driving through fields effect since as far as the sat nav is concerned there is no road there.

Unfortunately SEAT charge crazy money for sat nav updates (I was quoted over a grand) and there is no guarantee that the roads in question will be included on the update.

Still its worth checking with your dealership in case it is faulty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, I am not sure when the car was manufactured as it was pre registered by the dealer when I bought it and was possibly in stock for a while and could be an early build.
I don't think the issue is out of date maps as the roads it lost are long established.
I was told that as it was a new model there were no software updates issued yet.
I will post my progress when the car is looked at next week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Leprechaun said:
I had the exact same problem.

When did you get your car? I got one of the early ones and had to have the windscreen replaced after a few days. Whilst it was in the Seat garage for calibration, they advised that there was a software update needed due to a fault with the SOS call system.

This software update knocked out my satnav and GPS and was showing me in the Irish Sea at some stage. I have now been back to the garage who have tried to reinstall the update patch, without success.

I have to book it in again for two days to wipe the whole software and have it reinstalled...pain in the backside...and hey don't know if it will work....Seat have been useless...induction charging system needs to be replaced as this is also broken from outset....dealer advised three times that the part was ordered and still not here!
Have you had the re instal yet and has it worked? my issue is in the hands of SEAT technical.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
It seems to me like hardware problem.
My wife experienced similar issues on her Yaris a couple of years ago.
The map was changing randomly, sometimes it showed correct position but in most of the time it was all around - even many kilometers away.

Turned out it was loose / not connected GPS antenna cable.

In your case it could be faulty aerial connector in the GPS receiver (guessing - radio module?) or in very simple and possible case - bad soldering of that connector. This kind of things probably would not report any codes.

IMHO - push dealers until resolved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pch said:
It seems to me like hardware problem.
My wife experienced similar issues on her Yaris a couple of years ago.
The map was changing randomly, sometimes it showed correct position but in most of the time it was all around - even many kilometers away.

Turned out it was loose / not connected GPS antenna cable.

In your case it could be faulty aerial connector in the GPS receiver (guessing - radio module?) or in very simple and possible case - bad soldering of that connector. This kind of things probably would not report any codes.

IMHO - push dealers until resolved.
The dealer claims to have looked at antenna which they claim is OK and is now looking at SD card/reader. However 2 phone calls from them to answer basically the same queries from Seat technical seem to be trying to point to it happening in a blackspot i.e does it always happen in the same place. The answer is no. Presumably if they can claim it's due to blackspots there is no fix.

I think it has 2 Sat Nav issues, first loosing the location and second the screen freezes with the exception of the arrow which goes off screen.

I have left the car with the dealer whilst they speak with Seat technical. At the moment not very happy as I have this issue, the 1.5TSI kangarooing (which they claim to have resolved with a software update) and another noise that they could not replicate. The latter is a clicking noise when the wipers are in use in heavy rain, apparently this is a click in a module ( the explanation was rushed) and as such acceptable as they had heard it before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
105 Posts
I feel your pain but until they replace everything in the system they will be trying to blame you. That's the easiest for them.
Having a couple of years experience with electronics I can see that cold/dry solder joint may be responsible for such surprises.
I don't think they will play in soldering boards so the only way it to replace every module in responsible systems.

On the other side I can see you are having lots of issues with your car. Sorry to hear this
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
iainpeter said:
pch said:
It seems to me like hardware problem.
My wife experienced similar issues on her Yaris a couple of years ago.
The map was changing randomly, sometimes it showed correct position but in most of the time it was all around - even many kilometers away.

Turned out it was loose / not connected GPS antenna cable.

In your case it could be faulty aerial connector in the GPS receiver (guessing - radio module?) or in very simple and possible case - bad soldering of that connector. This kind of things probably would not report any codes.

IMHO - push dealers until resolved.
The dealer claims to have looked at antenna which they claim is OK and is now looking at SD card/reader. However 2 phone calls from them to answer basically the same queries from Seat technical seem to be trying to point to it happening in a blackspot i.e does it always happen in the same place. The answer is no. Presumably if they can claim it's due to blackspots there is no fix.

I think it has 2 Sat Nav issues, first loosing the location and second the screen freezes with the exception of the arrow which goes off screen.

I have left the car with the dealer whilst they speak with Seat technical. At the moment not very happy as I have this issue, the 1.5TSI kangarooing (which they claim to have resolved with a software update) and another noise that they could not replicate. The latter is a clicking noise when the wipers are in use in heavy rain, apparently this is a click in a module ( the explanation was rushed) and as such acceptable as they had heard it before.
If you don't get any joy from them might be worth giving Seat a call directly to make a complaint.

Which dealership did you buy from? If you don't feel comfortable naming them publicly feel free to pm me because I am likely to place order this week and would prefer to avoid bad dealerships. Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have spoken to Seat, waiting for them to ring back. Picked up car on Friday, not fixed fault as it did not happen when they had the car, although they have evidence of the fault and agree there is a fault if it doesn't happen when they have a computer attached they have no idea how to fix it. Initially I was told they would attach a dash cam to film the sat nav or attach a computer, with them doing extended test drive. I produced a video of the issue taken by a passenger, which they accept shows me driving across a pond, but that is now not enough and they now need the computer evidence.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
I was having serious issues with this too...vehicle has been back three times, the last visit for nearly two weeks. I won't go into too much detail as I am currently in the middle of a full blown complaint.

...to put it bluntly, there seems to be a manufacturing fault with some of the early builds and this is one of the symptoms. I got a software update to fix the emergency call system and this fried something else. May I suggest you ask them to replace the connectivity module located next to the drivers right knee in the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Leprechaun said:
I was having serious issues with this too...vehicle has been back three times, the last visit for nearly two weeks. I won't go into too much detail as I am currently in the middle of a full blown complaint.

...to put it bluntly, there seems to be a manufacturing fault with some of the early builds and this is one of the symptoms. I got a software update to fix the emergency call system and this fried something else. May I suggest you ask them to replace the connectivity module located next to the drivers right knee in the car.
I have been assured all hardware checked and working in my car, Seat suggested try another dealer to get a fresh pair of eyes to look at it. Seat denying any experience of this problem. Seat have booked the car into another dealer but I have to wait a couple of weeks for the appointment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
174 Posts
This is all so familiar with the manufacturer/dealer's resolution process.

If it's something easily identifiable like exhaust pipe has visually fallen off a car or computers says a particular electronic part is broken they can ask seat UK for the cost to put your car right. You'd think that while under warranty the dealer should 'try' to fix it by starting with the most probable solution and move down the list. However I think the dealer won't get the costs approved by Seat UK to buy parts that don't guarantee a fix. So they can't do anything. If you call Seat UK they would likely point you back to the dealer/garage because they need the diagnostics and concrete fix from them.

If you were paying the garage, I guess they would give you a list of things they could try at your cost. But here Seat UK won't give the dealer a blank cheque to try whatever they want. I've been stuck in this situation before in the vag group
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
Leprechaun said:
I was having serious issues with this too...vehicle has been back three times, the last visit for nearly two weeks. I won't go into too much detail as I am currently in the middle of a full blown complaint.

...to put it bluntly, there seems to be a manufacturing fault with some of the early builds and this is one of the symptoms. I got a software update to fix the emergency call system and this fried something else. May I suggest you ask them to replace the connectivity module located next to the drivers right knee in the car.
Well, after having the Tarraco back in for the third time, the satnav and gps issue was fixed a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the dealer put a nice scratch on the car in the process.

Two months later the whole satnav system and gps SOS system has gone kaputt again. The garage called me about the engine recall and only noticed then that they forgot to call me back to rectify the paint damage from the last time.

The car is now back in to get the paintwork fixed (not a major thing), the engine software update and the re-diagnosingn of the faulty GPS/SOS and Nav system.

I like the car but it has not been very reliable so far!....hopefully they can just resolve the issues this time around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Leprechaun said:
Leprechaun said:
I was having serious issues with this too...vehicle has been back three times, the last visit for nearly two weeks. I won't go into too much detail as I am currently in the middle of a full blown complaint.

...to put it bluntly, there seems to be a manufacturing fault with some of the early builds and this is one of the symptoms. I got a software update to fix the emergency call system and this fried something else. May I suggest you ask them to replace the connectivity module located next to the drivers right knee in the car.
Well, after having the Tarraco back in for the third time, the satnav and gps issue was fixed a couple of months ago. Unfortunately the dealer put a nice scratch on the car in the process.

Two months later the whole satnav system and gps SOS system has gone kaputt again. The garage called me about the engine recall and only noticed then that they forgot to call me back to rectify the paint damage from the last time.

The car is now back in to get the paintwork fixed (not a major thing), the engine software update and the re-diagnosingn of the faulty GPS/SOS and Nav system.

I like the car but it has not been very reliable so far!....hopefully they can just resolve the issues this time around.
When I finally returned mine they thought (hoped) the sat nav issue was a trapped cable in the boot ! This after they had looked at it twice, in addition to another dealer applying a software update (which according to the first dealer did not exist) and input from Seat over several months.
Might be worth suggesting they check all cabling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
My car has already been taken apart by the dealer in conjunction with two technicians sent from Seat/VW to resolve the problem. They replaced numerous parts from another Tarraco and the two of them were side by side in the workshop.

Got the call this evening to say they are unable to troubleshoot the problem and they have sent details to Seat.....around in circles again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
As an update to this thread, my car has spent another week in the garage undergoing more 'troubleshooting'. After the previous fault, the control unit was eventually replaced which rectified the issue. This time, they have eventually decided that they will replace the control unit again! They indicated (but not officially) that the first edition launch models have faulty control units and are frying within the first few months. My initial replacement control unit was taken from another launch model allegedly, so this has caused the re-fry. An updated unit has been ordered which should resolve this.....I don't know what to believe at this stage....hopefully this unit kicks the kangaroo out too!
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top