Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Took delivery just before lockdown of my new Indium Grey Tarraco. Came from a Golf R so quite a big jump.

Looking for some tips on improving sound system if anyone has any... And any other smaller cosmetic changes I might be able to make

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just used to something a bit better than stock. In my Golf I got the plug and play subwoofer added as I couldn't spec the dynaudio.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-000-051-419-System/dp/B00PLNSDXW&ved=2ahUKEwjvmYP_y8foAhWCY8AKHVwYCDYQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw0Z2gPcOUarscUm7fIEDRIi

The above was the thing I had installed. The specs say it fits the Tiguan you think that also means would work in the Tarraco if I was to buy it again?

In the car before that I had the Harman Kardon system in the BMW. Before that I was a lot younger and did full blown car audio.

I'm not looking to vibrate my car to bits but I do prefer the system to have a low end. And so far I just don't really feel it has one. The sound overall is a bit flat no matter how muchI play with the EQ, not to mention quieter than expected. Over half volume to really drown out background noise.

Maybe I've just been spoilt in previous cars

·
Registered
50 Posts
danny_kay1710 said:
Hi all,

Took delivery just before lockdown of my new Indium Grey Tarraco. Came from a Golf R so quite a big jump.

Looking for some tips on improving sound system if anyone has any... And any other smaller cosmetic changes I might be able to make
Did you get the Tarraco as a family car? I just got one because I like the look of it

·
Registered
447 Posts
danny_kay1710 said:
I'm just used to something a bit better than stock. In my Golf I got the plug and play subwoofer added as I couldn't spec the dynaudio.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Volkswagen-000-051-419-System/dp/B00PLNSDXW&ved=2ahUKEwjvmYP_y8foAhWCY8AKHVwYCDYQFjAAegQIAxAC&usg=AOvVaw0Z2gPcOUarscUm7fIEDRIi

The above was the thing I had installed. The specs say it fits the Tiguan you think that also means would work in the Tarraco if I was to buy it again?

In the car before that I had the Harman Kardon system in the BMW. Before that I was a lot younger and did full blown car audio.

I'm not looking to vibrate my car to bits but I do prefer the system to have a low end. And so far I just don't really feel it has one. The sound overall is a bit flat no matter how muchI play with the EQ, not to mention quieter than expected. Over half volume to really drown out background noise.

Maybe I've just been spoilt in previous cars
I like you have come from big installs and know what good car audio is. I used to compete in late eighties in sound offs with installs costing as much as 1/2 a brand new golf GTi in its day. I competed in the sound quality group not SPL comps so balance and staging was the main goal, not vibrating all my hairs off! During the 90's and 00's I did custom installs as part of my job.

You lucky you had a HK in your BMW, the standard non HK even with professional speakers upgrade is crap.

If you stick an RTA in the Tarraco, I think you will find it bass heavy from stock. Your problem is not the lack of quality but lack of quantity!

So I think a spare wheel sub like you had before will be your best bet. Whether it will fit or not I don't know but surely a space saver is the same size whatever the car, give or take? If you want to be 100% sure our back end, boot area and spare wheel etc is exactly the same part for part as a Tiguan Allspace. A 5 seat Tiguan is not the same.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I nearly walked away from the BMW deal because he couldn't get me a HK system in my price bracket.

To be fair, the Tarraco only has 500 miles on it. Speakers tend to take a while to bed in, so I might find a bit more life comes to the system as time goes on. That was definitely the case with the Golf.

The plug and play system amplified all speakers and I think just doing that could massively improve things. Even without the sub component the amplifier that comes with it could improve things massively.

Additionally the golf the sound felt like it was at ear level, tweeters in the a pillar and speaker in dashboard... but with the Tarraco it feels like I'm a few feet above the sound stage.

I'd be interested in your thoughts about how to improve sound quality. I'm a little out of touch now and could never even pretend to be professional

·
Registered
447 Posts
To be honest, music nowadays to me is just background sound. The last time I had an amp would have been in 2008. More recently, I've been lucky enough to have some decent options (like Burmeister in the Merc). With the Tarraco and the Alhambra before I'm more than happy with it stock VAG.

I did have a play recently and added some MB Quart Tweeters into the footwell of the MIni, just to improve the crap BMW system. The result moved the staging more forward, as with the fader on central the sound was so rear biased. If you faded to the front to get the staging, you lost the bass.... It's not an ideal solution but for the price of a set of tweeters, it gives 'me' a more enjoyable listen. Had the same thing on the BMW 1 coupe I had in 2011, ended up adding tweeters too.

Everyone has different ears and preferences so unless you are getting technical and putting a RTA on it, there is no perfect sound.

I had a look at the Helix setup and impressed with how far plug and play has advanced, for the money, I don't think you can go wrong. Also, I think the main reason why you like the Helix so much is the sound being setup to your car via the DSP. I have an Alpine Double Din in my MX5 and spent hours setting it up as it has full Parametric Equaliser (DSP) built in. However, one setting never works for all content, so luckily I can have 3 user saved settings for quick change. :D

See how you get on with the OEM system, there is always a solution, just depends on how much £££ you want to spend.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had VW install that plug and play system as it needs coding. I'm not scared of the plug and play wiring but didn't have a coding device - installation by garage was actually less than buying such a device.

Wish the VAG EQ was a bit better. Low,med,hi just isn't enough flexibility.

I don't mind spending money, just as long as I can spread it out. Its been a while since I've done any complex installs so would like to ease in a bit before going too mad!

All of the car audio stuff seems to assume you've went to the hassle of running your own dedicated power, I've no idea how easy/difficult getting a cable into the cabin from battery would be. I should really look to see if there is any easy candidates once I get out of work

·
Registered
447 Posts
Getting a 12V supply from the cabin is straight forward. However, to get the clean plug and play the Helix gave you is going to be the problem. After reading up on it, the Helix is a very cost effective solution, especially with the DSP tailoring. The DSP is the most important part, which cannot be replicated so cleanly as with the Helix.

If you were to go stand alone upgrades, keeping the standard speakers, you would need harness, Speaker level to RCA converter, DSP, AMP, SUB and the most difficult part, where to put it all. That's what I find so appealing with the Helix.

You should of taken the Helix out of the Golf. I've seen on EBAY a guy will program it for £40.

·
Registered
447 Posts
danny_kay1710 said:
I had VW install that plug and play system as it needs coding. I'm not scared of the plug and play wiring but didn't have a coding device - installation by garage was actually less than buying such a device.

Wish the VAG EQ was a bit better. Low,med,hi just isn't enough flexibility.

I don't mind spending money, just as long as I can spread it out. Its been a while since I've done any complex installs so would like to ease in a bit before going too mad!

All of the car audio stuff seems to assume you've went to the hassle of running your own dedicated power, I've no idea how easy/difficult getting a cable into the cabin from battery would be. I should really look to see if there is any easy candidates once I get out of work
I just saw this, it doesn't have a sub but its plug and play DSP with amp.

you set it up using a laptop. Seriously thinking of getting one for the Mini.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945582457.html?spm=a2g0o.store_home.productList_10577183.pic_1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That looks really interesting. Very tempted. If you do get one please let me know what it's like.

I didn't take the helix out of the golf as I used it to edge up my part ex value, plus I didn't know how the wiring harness was wired in. I also didn't have much time to do it either.

Lesson learned though I'll be hanging onto anything like that in future.

·
Registered
447 Posts
not a very good review but gives an idea of what you can do, there is also a 31ch one for around £150.

Anyway, couldn't resist and paid £104 incl del for the 8ch. Let's see what its like.....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I've been doing some research. I'm a bit nervous about it being unknown though. I did find a Pioneer equivalent though.\

https://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-pioneer-deqs1000a-i_p-40990.htm

And I also came across an inline amplifier:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/amplifiers/pioneer-gm-d1004-4-channel-car-amp-with-tvc-concept-and-input-sensor-400w

Not sure which one I like the look of better to be honest - should be a simple install with:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/adapters/vw/tiguan/connects2-ct10vw01-t-harness-for-vw-all-models-2003

·
Registered
447 Posts
from what I have been learning from the net, the Tarraco uses a different plug. I think most probably all MQB use the newer plug. The plug you show is the older one that is used widely accross german brands, Merc, BMW, VAG etc.

It's actually the plug I needed for the mini.

Maybe I'm wrong as the head unit nowadays is only a display, the actual processor is in the glovebox unit and that looks the same plug.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Headunit-Easy-Connect-Satnav-MIB2-DAB-Seat-Ateca-Leon-Arona-Ibiza/402035900037?hash=item5d9b34fe85:g:nFkAAOSw0N1eYRH2

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-SKODA-KODIAQ-Mk1-Nav-Head-Unit-565035021B-100/274295147603?hash=item3fdd43cc53:g:2w0AAOSw-Q5eXxDu

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-KAROQ-KODIAQ-SAT-NAV-Navigation-Head-Unit-OEM-5Q0035874C-5L0051236AH/153831752082?epid=19034400558&hash=item23d1164192:g:TzsAAOSwdkNeRa2H

From those pics, it looks like the connector you said is correct and if it is connected to the glovebox unit, result! Easy install, no taking apart the dash!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, the Puzu DSP arrived and fitted into the mini.

Can say the expense is well worth it. £115 for the unit delivered, then royal mail hit me with £12 bill (£4 vat £8 handling charge) so £127 all in.

Fitting is a breeze, all plug and play. Hardest part this to find somewhere to mount the unit.

Even without setting up the unit, out of the box it sounded better due to more grunt. The mini is seriously lacking power as standard.

For the mini, it all tucked away in the dash, physical install if I had to do another mini, 15mins.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Well, after the positive result for the mini, I have just bought another for the Tarraco. £104 and asked them to declare lower value so won't get stung by customs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.