Seat Tarraco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I drive down to the French alps several times each winter (ski bum!), and this winter will be the first trip for my Tarraco. It's currently got 235/50/R19 tyres on the standard alloys, but i'm wanting to buy a set of steels/cheap alloys with winter tyres on them that I can swap over when i'm heading off.

I've looked online at several retailers that sell sets, but when I put the vehicle details in they all seem to come up with 17" rims with 215/65/R17 tyres on them. Is this correct/compatible? I haven't a clue when it comes to different wheel/tyre sizes !! :?

And has anyone found a decent set online, or had any experience of good/bad winter tyres that they would/wouldn't recommend as i've not used them before.

Cheers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I drive down to the French alps several times each winter (ski bum!), and this winter will be the first trip for my Tarraco. It's currently got 235/50/R19 tyres on the standard alloys, but i'm wanting to buy a set of steels/cheap alloys with winter tyres on them that I can swap over when i'm heading off.

I've looked online at several retailers that sell sets, but when I put the vehicle details in they all seem to come up with 17" rims with 215/65/R17 tyres on them. Is this correct/compatible? I haven't a clue when it comes to different wheel/tyre sizes !! :?

And has anyone found a decent set online, or had any experience of good/bad winter tyres that they would/wouldn't recommend as i've not used them before.
Have a look here, its a German Ateca/Tarraco forum. Use Chrome to view the website with auto translate: https://www.ateca-forum.de/index.php?thread/6636-winterr%C3%A4der-sommerr%C3%A4der-alufelgen-f%C3%BCr-den-tarraco/

Hope it helps.

Thyper

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is the list of tyres that are homologized and stored in my Tarraco registration certificate:
* 215/65 R17 99V
* 235/55 R18 100V
* 235/50 R19 99V
* 235/45 R20 100V

And here is the list of homologized rims:
* 7J×17 ET40
* 7J×18 ET43 (7x18 5x112 ET 43)
* 7J×19 ET43
* 8J×20 ET41

You should not only use the proper tyres but also the right rims to match the vehicle, enjoy the trips :ugeek:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
When I looked into buying a Tarraco I checked on winter wheels/snow chains. Be VERY careful the 19 and 20 inch wheels have very large brakes and they are liable to foul any conventional chains currently on the market.
My dealer asked the question of the factory and their solution was snow socks.
There are some chain-type adapters that you put on the outside of the wheel, but they are quite expensive and I'm not completely convinced they will do the job.

If you find a good solution please post and hopefully it will save me a lot more work

·
Registered
447 Posts
Romseytarraco said:
Hi,
When I looked into buying a Tarraco I checked on winter wheels/snow chains. Be VERY careful the 19 and 20 inch wheels have very large brakes and they are liable to foul any conventional chains currently on the market.
There are some chain-type adapters that you put on the outside of the wheel, but they are quite expensive and I'm not completely convinced they will do the job.

If you find a good solution please post and hopefully it will save me a lot more work
Please excuse my ignorance as I've never used snow chains but my brain is going into overdrive over your statement.

How will snow chains get fouled by the brakes?

·
Registered
306 Posts
vib1288 said:
Romseytarraco said:
Hi,

Please excuse my ignorance as I've never used snow chains but my brain is going into overdrive over your statement.

How will snow chains get fouled by the brakes?
I can't see how that can be an issue as well, especially with the pricier snow chains that have self tensioning bars and rigid arcs for the back of the wheel, the chain doesn't come anywhere near the alloy, let alone the calipers.

Are you sure the dealer wasn't just messing you about (not that they have been known to do that right)?

P.S. A good solution (pricey but the best from my experience) for snow chains is the König Easy-fit (SUV for the Tarraco).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been looking on Roofbox.co.uk at chains, but when putting my Tarraco 235/50/19 wheel size and vehicle in, they advise the following:

Restrictions for your vehicle...
Our snow chains suppliers tell us that your vehicle and tyre size combination is not suitable for any traditional chains, and most automatic chains; this is probably because any chain links placed on the back of the tyres are likely to snag on the shock absorbers. We believe that all the chains shown below are safe to use; for example, ladder track chains do not put any chain behind the tyres.

The only options they present are either snow socks, or the expensive (£315+) type mentioned above that don't actually go behind the tyre, but just sit on the tread.

·
Registered
306 Posts
BoltonPaddy said:
I've been looking on Roofbox.co.uk at chains, but when putting my Tarraco 235/50/19 wheel size and vehicle in, they advise the following:

Restrictions for your vehicle...
Our snow chains suppliers tell us that your vehicle and tyre size combination is not suitable for any traditional chains, and most automatic chains; this is probably because any chain links placed on the back of the tyres are likely to snag on the shock absorbers. We believe that all the chains shown below are safe to use; for example, ladder track chains do not put any chain behind the tyres.

The only options they present are either snow socks, or the expensive (£315+) type mentioned above that don't actually go behind the tyre, but just sit on the tread.
(Fairly) expensive car, expensive accessories :).

You can get the König Easy-fit SUV for £250 if you shop around (and know the exact chain model for your rim/tyre size).

This is not too expensive as a set of rims (smaller you can fit to the Tarraco is 7J×17 ET40) will set you back at least £500 plus the cost of the tyres (also, where are you going to carry them in?).

I am selling my 18" if you are interested as I am upgrading to the OEM 19" Exclusives (found them for a pittance from SEAT Spain on a super offer, yay).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I could buy a set of 215/65/17 rims with winter tyres (and keep my 19" rims with summer tyres just for summer use), and then can use these chains due to the marginally increased room under the arch: König XG-12 Pro snow chains (pair) no. XG-12 Pro 235 at £122.

Trouble is, I can't find a set of rims with half decent winter tyres for under £700. :(

·
Registered
306 Posts
BoltonPaddy said:
Yeah, I could buy a set of 215/65/17 rims with winter tyres (and keep my 19" rims with summer tyres just for summer use), and then can use these chains due to the marginally increased room under the arch: König XG-12 Pro snow chains (pair) no. XG-12 Pro 235 at £122.

Trouble is, I can't find a set of rims with half decent winter tyres for under £700. :(
Can't see how you can get away with anything below £1K (with compromises on the tyre choice).

A decent set of used rims (18", I think 17" is too small) will set you back around £600.

Any decent tyre brand will set you back another £500 I would think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.