Guide: How to update your SD Map Card for Free (Including in the UK)

All Seat Tarraco related discussions
crumpet

Guide: How to update your SD Map Card for Free (Including in the UK)

Post by crumpet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Hi All

Big thanks to stellamaris5 and the people at seatcupra.net for the original guide I cribbed these notes from!

I've put it together in one place here for the Tarraco owners, with simple steps for those who want to update their SD card for free, but are in the UK where we don't get access to the downloads via Mapcare like the rest of Europe.

I tried this on my Xcellence First Edition Plus, which came with a V7 card, and it worked a charm

I did this on my Mac OSX Mojave but I believe it's even more straightforward using Windows PC if you have one. The instructions explain the differences in each step.

Steps:

1. Safely remove the SD card from the Tarraco (Menu > Setup > Safely Remove)
2. Go to https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... s-download#/ and select:
Car: Tiguan All Space (Post 2019)
Unit: Discover Media
3. Download the map pack (Europe 1 at 13GB is the one I went for and will fit on the V7 SD card, and likely other versions)
4. The file you download is a .7z file, how to unzip depends on the operating system:
Mac: Use The Unarchiver (Free on Mac App Store)
Windows: Use 7-zip free download from https://www.7-zip.org
5. Copy the contents of the SD card taken from the Tarraco to your PC, it should have a folder called maps with several folders underneath it.
6. Make a second copy of a single file on the SD card, called OVERALL.NDS (it's in /maps/EEC/EEC_WLD/OVERALL.NDS) and keep this handy
7. Delete (don't format) the contents of the SD card
8. If using a Mac, you should use another free app called CleanMyDrive2 (from the Mac App Store) to remove any trash files from the card. Not sure if you have to do this on Windows.
9. Unzip the 7Z file contents onto your PC/Mac
10. In the newly unzipped download maps folder, locate the OVERALL.NDS and overwrite it with the one you saved from the car's SD card in step 6 above
10. Copy the new maps folder (containing the new maps files and your old OVERALL.NDS) back onto the now empty SD card
11. On a Mac, safely eject using CleanMyDrive2 ensuring you do a clean first to remove junk files (important to do this again at this point) - again not sure but Windows may not require a similar step.
11. Back in the Tarraco, reboot the unit without the card inserted by holding down the volume until the SEAT logo appears
12. Once rebooted, ignition back off and insert SD card, and enjoy!

A few points to note:
It seems the SD card itself is tied to the vehicle, so you have to overwrite the files on the existing SD card not just buy a new card and write to that, otherwise the car won't accept the card.

The CleanMyDrive2 junk removal is necessary and the recommended app for doing it by VW (see the PDF here https://webspecial.volkswagen.de/vwinfo ... 019_EN.pdf). They recommend a different unzipping app, but I tried this free one and it worked just fine!

Also make sure you back up the full maps folder from the card when you first put it in your PC/Mac in case anything goes wrong, you can simply put it back on the card and revert back to the original maps.
Last edited by crumpet on Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
> Tarraco Xcellence First Edition Plus 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4Drive in Reflex Silver + dealer fitted running boards
> Mods: middle row vent covers and rear footwell lights from Kodiaq

stellamaris5

Re: How to update the SD Maps (UK)

Post by stellamaris5 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:39 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive write up. All exactly how it should be done.

One thing to note is the download can be very slow at times especially once the new maps are released by VW notably twice a year June and November/December time. So if you leave it overnight to download it might conk out so you have to start again but I believe some browsers have download managers so you can pause and resume.

Also your new part number displayed will no longer be 6P0 , this is just cosmetic but you can edit the text file called dbinfo.txt in /maps/00/nds
PartNumber4=“6P0xxxxx” xxxx being the part number you had originally. I haven’t bothered.
Seat Tarraco Xcellence, 2.0L TDI , Manual

stellamaris5

Re: Guide: How to update your SD Map Card for Free (Including in the UK)

Post by stellamaris5 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:54 pm

Please note that although SEAT does not give MapCare in the UK, your car will have the below in the build codes:

77Q CD ROM/DVD/SD card: SD card (Europe), map updates for 1 year

(got my build spec free from https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/seat/)

which is the out of jail card for SEAT as the SDcards get updates once a year probably for the UK, so in theory you should get the latest SDcard from your dealer included within year one.

crumpet

Post by crumpet » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:56 am

Worth pointing out also that the latest version maps (V11 at the time of writing the guide) are for 2020 - Definitely worth doing if you have older maps in the car!
> Tarraco Xcellence First Edition Plus 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4Drive in Reflex Silver + dealer fitted running boards

nick1978

Post by nick1978 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm

I took mine to dealer and he swapped for new v.8 this is the latest one seat confirmed last week,

stellamaris5

Post by stellamaris5 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:17 pm

nick1978 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:32 pm
I took mine to dealer and he swapped for new v.8 this is the latest one seat confirmed last week,
Latest in the UK but VW are now on v11.
v8 is about 18 months out of date.

dugw

Post by dugw » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:21 am

still can't get this to work for Australia / New Zealand, follow the steps exactly.

bobbytoad

Post by bobbytoad » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am

Not tried it yet dugw but a pitfall maybe the OVERALL.NDS file you need to move back?

Havnt been brave enough to try however these instructions seem to make it clear/worth a try for me. Quite a few new road near me which are missing from current version

crumpet

Post by crumpet » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm

bobbytoad wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:52 am
Not tried it yet dugw but a pitfall maybe the OVERALL.NDS file you need to move back?

Havnt been brave enough to try however these instructions seem to make it clear/worth a try for me. Quite a few new road near me which are missing from current version
If you back up the "maps" folder and its entire contents from the existing SD card you can always put it back on with no risk. As long as you don't format the card, just delete the files (and of course unlock it first using the switch on the side of the card allowing deletion of the files).

I have a backup of my maps folder stored on my laptop just in case I ever need to revert back to V7 for some reason!

RudyM

Post by RudyM » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Is there a way to buy a v11 sd card for those without a PC and slow as hell internet?