Guide: How to update your SD Map Card for Free (Including in the UK)

All Seat Tarraco related discussions
bobbytoad

Re: Guide: How to update your SD Map Card for Free (Including in the UK)

Post by bobbytoad » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks I must have the March version - did update September time.
Will hang out for March before doing it again was straightforward enough but tense as to if it would work :)

Mac1942

Post by Mac1942 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 pm

Anyone know why the satnav displays both 50 and 60 Mph on normal roads?

SizzlingPotato

Post by SizzlingPotato » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:55 pm

Mac1942 wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:40 pm
Anyone know why the satnav displays both 50 and 60 Mph on normal roads?
Did that happen to you after the map update? I've noticed it too but not sure if it was always like that.
Seat Tarraco XCELLENCE LUX 2.0 TSI DSG

Mac1942

Post by Mac1942 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 pm

I havent updated my satnav its v8 so its always been like it.

SizzlingPotato

Post by SizzlingPotato » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm

bobbytoad wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:13 pm
I seem to have lost traffic alerts since updating.
Any one else found this? Admittedly it was annoying as it would tell me there was congestion in the opposite direction to which I was travelling however useful when it gets it right and for routing
Where did the traffic alerts used to appear? When it gives you the 3 routes to select from at the beginning to see traffic conditions? Or after you've locked in one route and started the navigation?

rdc

Post by rdc » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:36 am

Can I ask, especially Windows users, if anyone has had any problems doing this?

Did you have to clean junk files (presumably using Disk Clean) or just delete the old old files on the SD card?

Did anyone try using the Seat v.8 download? Is the VW one actually more up-to-date?

Did anyone manage to use a generic SD card or is it mandatory to use the original (I’m kinds sacred about f*cking things up😩)

Anything else I should ask before diving in?

Finally, a BIG thank you to Crumpet for the idiots guide

PS. I’ve just noticed the version I downloaded is v.12. Anyone updated to this one?
Last edited by rdc on Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xcellence Lux 2.0l DSG

Huxlee

Post by Huxlee » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:48 am

rdc wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:36 am
Can I ask, especially Windows users, if anyone has had any problems doing this?

Did you have to clean junk files (presumably using Disk Clean) or just delete the old old files on the SD card?

Did anyone try using the Seat v.8 download? Is the VW one actually more up-to-date?

Did anyone manage to use a generic SD card or is it mandatory to use the original (I’m kinds sacred about f*cking things up😩)

Anything else I should ask before diving in?

Finally, a BIG thank you to Crumpet for the idiots guide

I used the VW maps as they are upto date while the seat ones are approx 2 years out of date (doesn't show NDR in Norwich).

i was also worried about deleting the original SD Card, so went down the route of using a different card with no success , although there is a post about whats missing from a replacement card "something called CID (Card Identification) number".

KVM posted

No, there is not something hidden. But there is something called CID (Card Identification) number:

"A 16 byte code that contains information that uniquely identifies the SD card, including the card serial number (PSN), manufacturer ID number (MID) and manufacture date (MDT). The CID register is set when the card is manufactured and cannot be changed after it is set. (According to SD card specification the information is only to be written once, however if a card does not conform to the specification this information could be changed!)"

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=293&p=2070&hilit=CID#p2070

The vehicle is locked to some of these subcodes in CID, because my card works in Skoda Kodiaq and vice versa, but a third party card doesn't work in any of the cars. So to update the map, you can choose one of the following ways:

1. Buy a Custom CID SD Card (just google it), clone your original CID on it and copy the update.
2. Use a Original SD Card from any of the brands in VW Group, at least I can confirm that Skoda cards work.
3. Follow crumpet's instructions and use your own card. This is what I did, but I got the map from Skoda's site.

i Followed the Guide posted by Crumpet with no issues , although i like he idea of cloning wuth a blank CID card.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=181&p=1281&hilit=maps#p1281
Seat Tarraco Excellence Lux 1.5tsi white

SizzlingPotato

Post by SizzlingPotato » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:22 pm

SizzlingPotato wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:48 pm
bobbytoad wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:13 pm
I seem to have lost traffic alerts since updating.
Any one else found this? Admittedly it was annoying as it would tell me there was congestion in the opposite direction to which I was travelling however useful when it gets it right and for routing
Where did the traffic alerts used to appear? When it gives you the 3 routes to select from at the beginning to see traffic conditions? Or after you've locked in one route and started the navigation?
Can anyone confirm this one? Is traffic information any different in the Seat V7 maps vs the tiguan maps?

crumpet

Post by crumpet » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm

The traffic is haphazard as it uses TMC (Radio signal) rather than the online setup in the Navi Plus - which isn't available on UK Tarracos

I've not tried with Windows, but the cleaning drives is required for Macs as they put all sorts of hidden junk on the card.
> Tarraco Xcellence First Edition Plus 2.0 TSI 190 DSG 4Drive in Reflex Silver + dealer fitted running boards
> Mods: middle row vent covers and rear footwell lights from Kodiaq

SizzlingPotato

Post by SizzlingPotato » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:31 pm

crumpet wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:37 pm
The traffic is haphazard as it uses TMC (Radio signal) rather than the online setup in the Navi Plus - which isn't available on UK Tarracos

I've not tried with Windows, but the cleaning drives is required for Macs as they put all sorts of hidden junk on the card.
I see. Guess there's no quick way to see how each version behaves as I'll have to wait for some traffic incident to happen on the route I'm using :)