Seat Tarraco Forum banner

ECU remap or tuning box on 2.0TSI

18K views 23 replies 8 participants last post by  sssgu1365 
#1 ·
I'm soon to pick up my Tarraco, 1st March, and I've been looking at power upgrades.

I know the Tarraco isn't a sports car but I just find that VAG have been very conservative with the 190PS output from the 2.0 engine.

On my other car, Mini Cooper S petrol and my (now sold) Alhambra diesel, I have run the RaceChip tuning boxes with noticeable improvements in engine power. Don't think I've gained any MPG but for me the up in power is the main goal.

I've searched for info on the DKZA engine that is fitted to the Tarraco and although used throughout the VAG brands, tuning of it is few and far between.

Any of you guys/gals looked into increasing the power of the engine and would like to share what you have found?

#2 ·
I'm also looking at this for mine. I got the DSG to make it easier for my wife who is the main driver, as she has a weak left leg. I wasn't overly impressed with the pick up pulling away from roundabouts ect with the DSG box so want to eliminate that. Race chip do on with a 39 HP gain. That's more than likely the one I'll go for.

#3 ·
Chrisgg90 said:
I'm also looking at this for mine. I got the DSG to make it easier for my wife who is the main driver, as she has a weak left leg. I wasn't overly impressed with the pick up pulling away from roundabouts ect with the DSG box so want to eliminate that. Race chip do on with a 39 HP gain. That's more than likely the one I'll go for.
The entry level racechip does seem to be good value and I think the torque increase is going to be more important the the BHP increase.

I have the full fat race chip on my mini (2.0turbo Petrol) and its amazing (up around 40bhp) but that has a 3 sensor connection. I understand the entry level only has 1 sensor connection.

Would be interested to see your views on the race chip fitted. Keep us infomred!

#4 ·
Never having even considered having a remap of the ECU on my Tarraco, might be a silly question but why not buy a car that has the performance you want without remapping it, rather than immediately retuning the engine on a new car?

#5 ·
Simol said:
Never having even considered having a remap of the ECU on my Tarraco, might be a silly question but why not buy a car that has the performance you want without remapping it, rather than immediately retuning the engine on a new car?
Coming from the motor trade (modification market in particular, 10yrs ago now) I know that the engine fitted to the 2.0tsi is well under its potential from the factory.

All I am looking to do is to 'conservatively' increase the power to get better value for money from the engine.

I won't be racing the car, so any power increase will be in short bursts and not for example going flat out on the autobahn chasing top speed.

The majority of modern turbo engines can handle a ECU remap/tuning box without reducing the longevity of the engine, if driven sensibly.

As to buying a more powerful version, the 2.0tsi is the most powerful tarraco I could buy at the time. Of course, I could buy a different brand of SUV with much higher output but I like the look of the Tarraco, the load space it offers me and the blending in it gives me, compared to say an Audi, BMW or Merc.

After thieves tried to break in my home to get the keys of my C63 W205 at 5am a couple of years ago, I am now much more conscious of what I leave outside the house.

Having a flash car to me is now just not worth it, rather have a good night's sleep.

#7 ·
I would always go for a proper ECU remap over tuning boxes that just trick the ECU.
I had my old car remapped for 7 years and nether missed a beat but was out of warranty and all mods declared to insurance.

#9 ·
Just an update. I ended up getting a racechip in the end as it has worked flawlessly on my mini and is a 3-Channel system.

Currently there is a £100 off code for the GTS model, taking it down to £299.

Remember to use the voucher at check out.

Voucher code is RC-GTS-AFPDU and active for the whole month of march.

#12 ·
Hi, I just got a Tarraco 190Ps Auto, 4 Drive Excellence Lux, only took my Ateca Excellence in for a MOT and 8 days later had it.
Anyways, saw this thread and i have been running a DTUK performance box on my Ateca for 3 years, in a 2+2 mode with a pedal box as well. This made the whole car more responsive and took the PS fron 150 to just short of 200ps adding around 8 miles per gal to the fuel consumption as well.
I've already spoken to DTUK and i can return my pedal and 3 sensor box to be flashed for the tarraco.
For the money they are well worth it and it takes 5 minutes to put on and take off, the new versions are also app driven so you can change settings using your phone. Tempted to upgrade, and they also have a plugin firmware update for the dsg gearbox to speed it up a bit as well.
I'll be upgrading once i have some miles put it on.
They are well worth it.

Matt

#13 ·
I went with the Racechip, as like you with the DTUK box, had previous experience which was good.

I didn't go for Racechip again because of this sole fact, the reason was it is the only company to offer a 3 sensor box, all the others are 2 sensor.

Mine is Tsi and it sounds like yours is Tdi? Diesel boxes can reliably work on 2 channels, petrols, better with 3.

#14 ·
I'm interested in how you guys have handled your insurance once these tuning boxes are fitted. I'm quite interested in the DTUK offerings including the Pedal Box and the DSG Tune. My insurance company (AXA) looks like they won't entertain any modification beyond simple stuff like wheels and exhausts and I'm obviously hesitant to go any further until (or if) I can get some assurance that I can get cover at a not too unrealistic cost.

#15 ·
If your insurance company doesn't cover then you have no option to move to another insurer. No third party cover available.

If you like the feel of the pedal box and DSG tune, why not just rotate the dial to SPORT?

#16 ·
vib1288 said:
If your insurance company doesn't cover then you have no option to move to another insurer. No third party cover available.

If you like the feel of the pedal box and DSG tune, why not just rotate the dial to SPORT?
Thanks for the reply, but I was hoping to get some input regarding any amount of success that others had got in getting cover for modified cars.

I appreciate the Sport Mode suggestion - but it doesn't get me 240PS or 400nM does it? The Pedal Box seems to get rave reviews elsewhere and the DSG tune gives better shifting patterns and other benefits.

#17 ·
Sorry I thought you were referring to the pedal box and DSG tune, these both won't give you 240ps either so I'm a little confused. Pedal box and DSG tune are for vanilla cars that have no drive settings unlike our Tarraco which does.

Pedal boxes are very simple pieces of tech and have been around for ages, since the advent of electronic throttles. All they do is amplify the voltage signal from the gas pedal to the ECU, thus giving more gas for the same amount of physical movement of the right foot. Hence, the car feels faster.

Don't know what the DSG tune does as not something I have looked in to.

As to insurance I don't have a problem and I'm with Aviva.

#18 ·
vib1288 said:
Sorry I thought you were referring to the pedal box and DSG tune, these both won't give you 240ps either so I'm a little confused. Pedal box and DSG tune are for vanilla cars that have no drive settings unlike our Tarraco which does.

Pedal boxes are very simple pieces of tech and have been around for ages, since the advent of electronic throttles. All they do is amplify the voltage signal from the gas pedal to the ECU, thus giving more gas for the same amount of physical movement of the right foot. Hence, the car feels faster.

Don't know what the DSG tune does as not something I have looked in to.

As to insurance I don't have a problem and I'm with Aviva.
Sorry for the confusion. Much of the discussion on this thread has mentioned the DTUK "box" - a tuning box which connects to the fuel rail and boost sensors and makes adaptations on the fly to make the combustion more efficient yealding better consumption and/or power. It's THAT which gives the 240PS and 400nM. The Pedal Box and DSG Tune are supporting products and give much more than is available in Sport Mode. The Pedal Box, particularly, gets rave reviews on the VW Golf R forums and I think had some positive mentions in this thread above.

Is your lack of problem with Aviva due to their acceptance of modifications - or your lack of modifications?? You didn't make it clear if your car is modified.

#19 ·
I'm on Aviva multicar and the Mini has a racechip fitted. I have the racechip for the Tarraco here too but waiting for 1000miles on it before I install. Seeing they took the racechip on the mini, I can't see them not accepting it on the Tarraco.

I have no experience with the Pedal or DSG boxes. I understand what the Pedal box does but not the DSG box.

My MX5 is far from standard and hence I don't insure via Aviva, for that, I use Adrian Flux. They actually were cheaper with everything declared than a standard car with Aviva.

Every insurer is different so if AXA don't do it for you, then maybe another insurer will.

#22 ·
I've still only done 500miles So not added anything to mine currently.

I already have the DTUK box from the Ateca which is still under warranty and it can be upgraded for the Tarraco but i like the Mobile Features of the newer box. I am interested in the DSG Firmware Upgrade thou because i do find the current DSG laggy and its slow to drop down a gear at times. I could drive with the paddles but i just haven't drive it enough yet. This is my first Auto DSG box.

#23 ·
I fitted my Racechip at 1000miles and now on 2300miles. Tried a few settings on the Racechip and settled on 4 out of 7.

5 was more powerful but was not smooth, power came in with a thud. Not sure if this was due to the VW sensors picking up something amiss but 4 seems to be a general improvement all round over standard with the smoothness.

Something I did notice a few days ago, you can put the DSG into Sport by pulling back the DSG selector, this sharpens up the gearbox (I guess not to the levels of a remap). Not sure if this is 1/2 of Sport on the dial or the same. I know if you select Sport on the dial, you get sharper DSG and Throttle.

But for me, I'm quite happy with pulling down the DSG selector if I need to shift along without the DSG screwing me over!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.